Gas gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas gauge

are any of the bikes equipped with a fuel gauge reverse compatible with my 81 tank?

I have no interest in changing my factory cluster or adding a non oem gauge so my idea is to use one of the sending units, or something repurposed from something else, and create a setup that will trip an LED light when the fuel reaches a low level. I'm either going to place the led somewhere visible but not easily noticed OR making the unit trigger a current bulb such as the red oil/in gear light.

Thoughts? I really doubt I will remember to set the trip counter when I fill up and as a new rider I would like to not reset the counter each time so I can keep an accurate mileage log.

Yeah, you could rig something up like what you describe . Why not just check that you have a known reserve capacity? Deliberately run it down into reserve and find out how far it will likely last- have friend follow with gas container!
    If you are curious about gas mileage, a gauge is too vague. Best to fill to spot on filler neck, drive, refill to same spot, and note miles. Voila!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It's fine to know how far you can go on reserve, thats smart to know but doesn't change my need. My car goes 43 miles once it hits the red and dings, but if i had no gas guage (or light in this case) to alert me BEFORE hitting reserve it does me no good.

Example lets say reserve goes 40 miles. All of a sudden whoops I need to hit reserve....oh look next fuel stop is 60 miles.

Lot of good that reserve did, now i'm only pushing it 20 miles.

Comment

Planning ahead is good. If you are going where there's no gas for 60 miles look in the tank first. Bikes never had fuel gauges until about when the GSes came out, we didn't run out very often. I run closer to running out more often now because with a gauge I tend to push my miles and my luck farther. Just last week, went 60 or so miles up a road before it turned to dirt, was going up towards snow, couldn't turn around because the gas would have been tight. We went on through, and got there but it was a very crappy road for a big road bike. That just would not have happened without a gas guage.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a bad habit of forgetting about gas. I have limped many things home on reserve lol

Comment

get one of these, you will never run short of gas again........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

LOL that is awesome. It must get nasty/torn up quick

Comment

buy a 1 gal gas can and bungee cord it to your rear fender or put it in a saddle bag. You go down to reserve, switch it over, and if you need a bit more, you have another 50 or so miles.

On my 550, I have pretty much exactly half a gallon when I switch to reserve. I also know that my tank will go about 150 miles (highway) before I need to switch. On long trips, I start looking for gas about every 100 miles (ish). This bike is my primary mode of transport (ride it every day, rain or shine, year round), and no gas gauge...

well yet... I had a small fuel leak in the tank (under the mounting plate and not accessable to repair unless I cut an entire section out of the tank and then fabricate a new underside... I don't have the time for that). Anyway, long story short, I got a tank off an L model which has a gauge sending unit. I'm now looking for a compatible aftermarket gauge to wire up (120-0 ohms if my manual is correct). I'm still going to use a petcock with reserve though... just to be safe

Comment

Also, I'm not understanding why you don't want to reset the trip meter every fill up? If you're trying to keep a mileage log, then keep a little pad of paper and a pen in a jacket pocket and write down the total odometer mileage as you go and do the math. If you're keeping track of gas mileage, then the easiest way is to reset your trip mileage every fill up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lonerider00 View Post
                    Also, I'm not understanding why you don't want to reset the trip meter every fill up? If you're trying to keep a mileage log, then keep a little pad of paper and a pen in a jacket pocket and write down the total odometer mileage as you go and do the math. If you're keeping track of gas mileage, then the easiest way is to reset your trip mileage every fill up anyway.
                    It should be second nature to reset the trip odometer. Never trust the gauge, it is actually an indicator, not a gauge.

Comment

Till I got a 1000, none of my bikes had a gas gauge. My 98 Honda Shadow didnt have one either. As was staed, I filled it up and let it run out of gas before hitting resereve and noted the trip meter reading.

If i was maybe 20 miles away from that milage i started looking for gas...which also left me the 30 mile reserve ON TOP OF the 20 or so. Just remember to reset every time you fill up.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Out of the 15 bikes I have owned, only 3 had a gauge. It became second nature.

Comment

Yup...I was reaching up and resetting as i was pulling in most of the time..LOL
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I will fill up, check my fuel mileage by comparing the mileage on the trip odometer vs. fuel used, reset, then mount up and go.
                            Helps me when I am on a rally and the throttle is used a bit more than normal.

Comment

Ditto on resetting the trip odometer, I do that every time. I never trust any fuel gauge, when I hit reserve on the Zook I have aprox. 1.7 gal at my average mileage, simple.

Make resetting the trip od a discipline, after several trips to the pumps, it's a habit. IMO running out of fuel is totally avoidable, stupid and potentially dangerous in some circumstances.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X