82 GSX400 wont hold idle without choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GSX400 wont hold idle without choke

Carbs were cleaned and I added a 2-1 haven’t had a chance to Rejet but right now I’m just trying to idle it. When she first went back together it would start on full choke and eventually after warming up it accepted throttle and idled smoothly.

Then I did the Highest idle method do set the idle and it ran great while I was warm. I left it overnight and now it won’t idle without the choke on full. On a reduced choke it runs for a bit then dies and won’t accept any throttle without dropping dead

I reset the idle screws to 2 turns from lightly seated but still won’t get any love to idle

I have done the following (as part of my rebuild)
    : Tested spark and am getting a good 12v at coils(coil relay)
    : Replaced both airbox carb rubber and the engine side rubber (and o rings)
    : new gapped spark plugs
    : Float levels are set with proper methods listed on bikeclifs site to 22.4
    : Exhaust snugged up to the engine with new oem crush type washers
    : New petcock
    : Honda R/R
    : Cleaned wiring

I did get a little (2/3 drops) watered down(mixed with condensation and barely smells like gas) fuel dripping out of my exhaust at the connections between the downpipes and the silencer but only got that after i tried to run it the morning after the idle drop was done.

Any guidence would be appriciated

Seems likely that some gunk has found a hiding place in your idle circuits and is restricting fuel delivery- I didn't backtrack thru all your work, but how does your fuel tank look?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Adjust the valves yet ? Difficulty starting is a tell tale sign. If you can get it started and it runs better the warmer the engine gets, it is another sign of the valves needing attention.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Seems likely that some gunk has found a hiding place in your idle circuits and is restricting fuel delivery- I didn't backtrack thru all your work, but how does your fuel tank look?
        Fuel tank is rust free and the carbs were cleaned.

and the valves were done last year just before the engine was pulled. Additionaly bike fired right up first time the day before and aqtualy ran realy strong. It was only after setting the idle (using highest RPM method that we had issues)
        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

After you "set the idle" (assuming idle mixture), what were the screw settings?

You said you "reset them to two turns out", which tells me that you had them in farther than that.

To get the bike going again, start with a rich mixture, go THREE full turns on the screws.
          By the way, we are talking about FULL 360-degree turns, right?

Many bikes (they are all different) will end up with the screws properly set in the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turn range, so it might be a simple matter that you are too lean.

Another possibility: the pilot jets are plugged. Yes, you said you cleaned the carbs, but that does not mean that nothing will ever get in them again. It only means that they were clean when you put them together. Take a few minutes, pull the float bowls, mixture screws and pilot fuel jets. Spray some carb cleaner bacwards through the pilot circuits, followed by a bit of compressed air. Poke the holes in the pilot jet to make sure they are clean. Re-assemble. Test. Ride.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks steve

Yea i didnt take note of were we had them set it wasnt me doing the turning but they were under two maby 1.5/1.75. I agree these conditions appear lean. And yes whole 360 turns.

Here is a question is the idle knob have like a default setting like the 3 turns form its tightest point?

Should be no problem pulling the carbs to give them a quick clean if i cant get it going.

Comment

You said you cleaned the carbs but did not specify if they were 100% stripped and then each dipped for 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
                You said you cleaned the carbs but did not specify if they were 100% stripped and then each dipped for 24 hours.
                Yup striped and dipped as per the guide. I striped them and took them to ultra sonic cleaned by my mechanice. I assembled them at his shop with his help (Small town mechanic who i have know for years so i just kinda hang out in his shop on occasion).

Spayed and cleaned the passages.

Berrymans is almost impossible to get here

Comment

Didnt have much time last night to check this. Noticed that i was leaking fuel from my vent tubes in the carbs when priming. I have to get fix a the needle. Guess my tank want as rust free as first thought. I fixed the float needle and I have added a small fuel line filter to compensate for now until i can get it kreamed or lined when i get paint done.

Sat morning i will get back to tuneing.

Comment

Working...
                  X