BS32SS carbs, measuring fuel level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS32SS carbs, measuring fuel level

I'm putting new intake boots on my '80 GS850 as part of a very expensive experiment to see whether doing so will help cure my running lean issue. And while I have the carbs off, I thought I might as well try to do a better job of checking the float heights.

This time, I want to measure the fuel level with the "clear rubber hose connected to the float bowls" trick. I have all of the equipment, but I have a few questions after consulting the service manual, this here forum (yes, I did search), and the excellent information on BassCliffs site.

First off, my factory service manual doesn't mention this method of checking the float height. (Only measuring the float heights directly.) But they do list the fuel level in the carb specs. (Important note: the FSM is actually missing a decimal point, it should be 5.0mm, not 50mm!)

Now the important question, where do I measure the fuel level from? The Carb Rebuild Tutorial on BassCliff's site shows a picture of doing this on page 62. That photo shows the upper caliper lined up with the top of the carb body. Yet, when we check float heights, that is measured from the gasket mating surface, which would be another 2.0mm or so up. (That photo also shows a measurement of 2.89mm, so I don't know whether it's saying, "this is how you measure it, but this measurement is off" or, "this is how you measure it, and it should be approximately 2.89mm.")

So do I:

1. Put the fuel level at 5.0mm as measured from the top of the carb body, or

2. measure the height of the carb body "lip" and add that to the measurement shown in the PDF to get 5.0mm?

Hope this isn't too silly a question.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

its actually on Basscliff website.....

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/BS32SS_Carbs.pdf >>> its on page 9

Comment

The top edge of the bowls fit up inside the outer lip of the carbs..the measurement is from the bottom edge of the lip on the carb body...Make 2 lines on the tubing the specified level . Bottom line is on the lower edge of the lip.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-14-2013, 10:59 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        First off, my factory service manual doesn't mention this method of checking the float height. (Only measuring the float heights directly.) But they do list the fuel level in the carb specs. (Important note: the FSM is actually missing a decimal point, it should be 5.0mm, not 50mm!)
        You need a new manual.

Here is a copy-and-paste from the factory manual that I downloaded from BassCliff's site:

That is page 14-38 in the manual, which is page 309 of the pdf file.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

UGH, I knew it was going to be a really silly question. How did I not see that page???

You guys have way too much patience for people like me!
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
            You guys have way too much patience for people like me!
            Enjoy it while you can. Every once in a while, we need someone to pick on, you may be next.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X