Choke Cable: 1981 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Cable: 1981 GS850GL

My choke cable won't stay put after I pull it up. The cable moves freely, but not very user friendly when having to pull in the clutch with left hand and push starter button with right. Any suggestions?

There are two standard replies, that go something like this:

Mine: Use your right elbow to hit the starter button. I did this for years when I was too cheap / broke to replace the cable assembly.

Others: The amount of friction in that choke control is adjustable by tightening or loosening the top fastener just under the control itself. You can horse around with that with maybe some success, or complete success. Or maybe you'll need to either replace the choke cable / control assembly (easy) or use my right-elbow approach.

Even with a working setup right now (just replaced the choke cable last year) I still use method 1 because I'm used to it, and because I can immediately adjust the choke in or out as needed to keep the engine at a reasonable rpm, rather than let it rev like mad until I can reach the control.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Choke Cable: 1981 GS850G

OK, so I tried tightening the top fastener, with no success. I have the money, but I want to ensure I am replacing the correct part. So....will replacing the choke cable take care of the problem? If so, I will order one ASAP. Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

I just noticed that yours is an 'L', so I'm not sure my reply would be accurate for your bike. I'm sure someone else will chime in here.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
        X