GS1000 Exhaust rust interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Exhaust rust interior

I'm hoping I'm at most a couple of weeks from waking my GS1000N up after 10 years.

I had the engine out and most of it apart....now finally for the last month in high gear after a top end job, new tires etc...

Folks here have been helping me with a few issues in other threads.

Newest is the exhaust. One side, towards the back of the bike, has something rattling around inside. Looking in the end it seems a piece of interior structure has rusted off. Holding the pipe vertical and shaking resulted in some rust falling out.

Ok, so I'm thinking you'll tell me I need new pipes and that's about my only option. But I'd like to hear your thoughts if there's any way to fix, salvage them. Also if I can use them temporarily. Been waiting for this startup for a long time.

there is no reason why you cannot use them as they are. they may rattle annoyingly inside and you will probably blow a whole lot more rust out the pipes in time but they will work just fine.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply. That's great news.

I've just posted that first in 10 year startup was successful in the "rebuild" part of the site.

Should be able to get on the road soon.

Comment

Working...
      X