A couple issues......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple issues......

Ok here are some questions for you that I am sure have been asked a hundred times.
    First off this is my bike, a 1981 Suzuki GS1000GL. If I work at it I can get it to start, with a rough idle. Cannot give it any throttle or it will die out (start to rev first then sputter and die). Now it acts like fuel starving, but has fuel spitting out of the carbs.
    Now a little more about the bike. It sat torn apart for a few years before a friend of mine bought it a year ago. Now we have worked on it from time to time then last fall he said it would not tart at all. We had it running (kinda) it would do 70 with no problems, any faster it would fall on its face. I tore the pet cock apart cleaned it out and made sure it had good fuel flow there. I replaced the fuel and vacuum lines. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them out, had a lot of white residue in the bowls. It does have an aftermarket exhaust on it that I do not much care for, just to loud.
    Now for me this is kinda a flashback as my first street bike was a GS550L. This one is very similar with the same look and stance. This is also my "little red sports car" as my wife calls it.
    So with all said any ideas or things to look at will be welcomed. Any questions for me, just ask. Thank You, Shaun

Just an update: It will now idle with full choke, at about 3000rpm. After a few minutes the choke will pull itself off and then you can give it some throttle. Took it around town just a bit, did ok but have to yank the choke out to get going from a stop sign. Will continue to work on it. Shaun

Comment

Shaun,

Go thru the Megawelcome and completely clean the carbs

It sounds like they are still clogged, plus you'll need a jet kit for that header
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Your pilot jets are clogged. You need to do a strip and clean of the carbs. Check out the tutorials.

Comment

Should have read that first. Thank you for the input. I did read through the tutorial. Fantastic information. I did clean out the carbs again, did not soak but did give a thorough cleaning. It runs ok now. At least you can control the throttle now. Took it out on the highway and it did good. A little sluggish at first but was still an enjoyable ride. Seems the more it runs the better it runs, but I have seen that before. Thanks again, Shaun

Comment

Actually since its "spitting fuel " I would surmise the pilot jets are not clogged...rather they are missing the rubber plugs over them and they are simply flooding out.

If the pilot jets were clogged they wouldnt be spewing fuel like he says they are. least thats my opinion anyway.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Spitting fuel out where? It will only idle with choke on, that tells me it isn't over rich or flooding. Sounds like the spitting fuel is not going into the engine to me.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

The O Rings were bad between the intake boots and the engine. I believe that is what was causing some of the problems. Another problem is, well no easy way to admit this, me. By skipping the soak I believe that I loosened up some gunk that has now traveled into the main jets. I will be doing a complete tear down of the carbs and will include the soak this time. There is a charging issue as well and will have to address this before going to far. Seems to be running at least in art from the battery and not recharging it at all.
                For any new guys reading this, learn from my mistake. Taking shortcuts will just cost you more in the end. Shaun

Comment

Check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature so you know about some of the more common problems.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well my kits are on the way. My carbs are soaking (one at a time) and I found the problem with my charging system, I think. Now I have replaced my fuel petcock, fuel line, will have rebuilt carbs, new O-rings, new air filter and a new battery. I have also changed the plugs, plug wires and oil. Actually I did the oil change plugs and wires right off the bat to eliminate those from possible problems.
                    I think I will be able to ride her soon, I hope. It does have a minor leak at the tensioner, pretty common leak I think. I am also still looking for a stock set of pipes for it as well, this one is just to loud for me. LOL, anyone want to trade a V&H 4 into 1 pipe for a stock one? And when I get it figured out I will post a picture as well. Shaun

Comment

Working...
                    X