Exhaust wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust wrap?

I was curious if any of you guys used exhaust wrap? I've read good and bad things in regards to the headers/pipes becoming brittle after a while. I wouldn't mind calming down the heat a bit though. I found some good Titanium exhaust wrap by DEI on Amazon. Any thoughts?

I have them on my bike's headers, and have no issues....

some will like it and some will not...

I used it to cover up some dents in the pipes that I could not get out..

Comment

Cool man. I really dig the look and the purpose they serve. I'll just throw some on! Thanks!

Comment

I don't care for them,guess I'm old school.Don't mind if others use them.
        It seems like you are trying to cover something up(hide imperfections).

1978 GS1000C
        1979 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000E
        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          I don't care for them,guess I'm old school.Don't mind if others use them.
          It seems like you are trying to cover something up(hide imperfections).
          Well my bike is a bobbed gs650 so it's imperfect all over Wraps would suit it well.

Comment

DEI makes the best IMO.

Comment

What is the purpose of the header wrap? Is it mainly for covering up imperfections or does it actually serve a purpose of some sort?

Comment

Its actual function is to hold in the heat. I use it on my turbocharged engine so all the heat reaches the turbo (yields more power). It can also be used to make the pipe less hot to the touch. But on a bike, mainly for show or to cover imperfections.

Comment

It's intended to keep heat down under the hood of a car but could also keep hot air from blowing on the engine of a bike.

Comment

What koolaid said

Comment

Originally posted by xxBenJamminxx View Post
                      What is the purpose of the header wrap? Is it mainly for covering up imperfections or does it actually serve a purpose of some sort?
                      Sometimes used to hide blemishes, it is designed as a heat insulator.

Since the pipes run directly below the oil pan, wrapping them might not radiate some of the heat into the oil.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Sometimes used to hide blemishes, it is designed as a heat insulator.

Since the pipes run directly below the oil pan, wrapping them might not radiate some of the heat into the oil.

Steve, that's a stretch.

Comment

LOL wow like 2 minutes later and there was several replies. I actually knew that but it was not registering with me at all till I read it. Even today with the temps in the 90's and high humidity my bike didnt seem to be running all that hot.

Is it proven to help keep the engine cooler, or is that just a theoretical hypothesis? If it does help our air cooled engines Id be down for getting some but not the biggest fan of the way it looks on a stock bike.

Comment

in MY opinion the benefits are minimal and the fact it looks FUGLY means i am not a great fan of it.......

looks like you have an egyptian mummified octopus strapped to your engine haha
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Use it for looks or to hide imperfections, nothing really more on a bike....for the average guy.....some of the race guys might find it useful.....

Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X