some help for a newbie would be much appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some help for a newbie would be much appreciated

here's my carbs. can anyone tell me anything about them? such as where is my adjustment screw and is it fuel or air? and maybe anything about if they're good or not? I've been reading the internets all day and not figuring this out. i'm a newbie and am just trying to learn how to work on my own bike instead of paying someone. thanks in advance!

we could, if we could see the pic, also if you told us what bike you own we may even be able to work out what carbs you have!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I, too, have problems seeing some posted pictures while at work, but I just realized that I am using my own laptop on the "guest" network, so should be able to see them.

Sorry, notronk, all we see is a box with a red X in it. And, like Agemax said, what bike?
      You have your approximate location in your profile, take another minute or two to add your bike to your sig.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Me too....nothing to see

We would all love to help you and any other newbies, especially if you want to learn to wrench, but you have to help us a wee bit. Add some more info to your signature or at least tell us what you have.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. notronk,

Read all of the information in the links below. It will help you do all kind of things like post pictures to the forum, change your oil, clean your carbs, diagnose electrical problems, and generally get your bike in shape. It's the "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Weird? works on my computer. Here's another. I uploaded it to my album on here. I have a '78 GS1000.

Comment

they are Mikuni VM carbs. should be 26's on a 78 GS1000. yours dont look stock Suzuki as they have no air screws on the sides.(should be just in front the pod filters on the side)
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

It appears to me that somebody has assembled your carb rack incorrectly.

I say that because I see no air screw on the side of that carb, which leads to other, more-puzzling questions.

If it goes on the other side of the bike, why is the fuel inlet not flowing gas out the right side?

Are they even the correct carbs?

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  It appears to me that somebody has assembled your carb rack incorrectly.

I say that because I see no air screw on the side of that carb, which leads to other, more-puzzling questions.

If it goes on the other side of the bike, why is the fuel inlet not flowing gas out the right side?

Are they even the correct carbs?

looking closer at the pic, it appears he has the very rare vertical mount VM's. dont see many of those around nowadays!
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    looking closer at the pic, it appears he has the very rare vertical mount VM's. dont see many of those around nowadays!
                    Yes, they are "updraft" carbs, for sure.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Most curious. Can you take a picture of the #1 carb. I'm thinking someone put them together wrong as well. Maybe they're Kawasaki carbs? I'll look a mine in the shed later.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by notronk View Post
                          here's my carbs. can anyone tell me anything about them? such as where is my adjustment screw and is it fuel or air? and maybe anything about if they're good or not? I've been reading the internets all day and not figuring this out. i'm a newbie and am just trying to learn how to work on my own bike instead of paying someone. thanks in advance!

Well, by consensus, they're VMs

They need to be pulled, broken down and cleaned. See the tutorial for VM carbs on BassCliff's site and go from there.

What everyone is commenting on is that there should be a brass adjustment screw just ahead of the air filter, as seen on the left carb here
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

kawasaki carbs me thinks. everything else looks to be in the right places!?
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I have to admit, in all my years on GSR, I have never seen such an ability to take a simple straight shot and make it into a neck twister, and with consistency to boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X