Exhaust ground clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust ground clearance

How much ground clearance are you running? I have the bandit 1200 front end and wheel and rear wheel. With the old school Yosh pipe I have 4.25" clearance. Not enough IMOP.

Another issue with the Yosh pipe is with the under slung caliper the tail pipe hits the brake stay.

I think I may have to fabricate my own exhaust system or get one from the UK shop that does custom work as they have a flat collector header which would solve the problem.

I also read hear they the early or first gen GSXR 1100 has a 4into 2 that fits with minor mods. Anybody have any pics of this?

Any suggestions?

I think the Yosh pipe will be heading to the market, opinions on its $ value. It has a few minor dents but has been bead blasted and will be painted with the vht flame proof coating.

Cheers
    Daryl
    Last edited by Fjbj40; 06-28-2013, 01:54 PM.
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
    How much ground clearance are you running? I have the bandit 1200 front end and wheel and rear wheel. With the old school Yosh pipe I have 4.25" clearance. Not enough IMOP.

Another issue with the Yosh pipe is with the under slung caliper the tail pipe hits the brake stay.

I think I may have to fabricate my own exhaust system or get one from the UK shop that does custom work as they have a flat collector header which would solve the problem.

I also read hear they the early or first gen GSXR 1100 has a 4into 2 that fits with minor mods. Anybody have any pics of this?

Any suggestions?

I think the Yosh pipe will be heading to the market, opinions on its $ value. It has a few minor dents but has been bead blasted and will be painted with the vht flame proof coating.

Cheers
    Daryl
    I have a spreadsheet I can send if you pm me your email; computes underbelly clearance v.s. a stock setup.

With your bandit stuff (did you mono shock??) you will lose 1" of clearance (just entered the data into a spreadsheet) unless you do something else to compensate. (raise the rear, or drop triple)

There are two type of yoshi pipes. Those the race version that come right underneath or the street versions that are designed to clear the oil cover. The race version provides better turning clearance, and generally they are a very good fit.

Not sure about the issues you are having without picture.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I have a spreadsheet I can send if you pm me your email; computes underbelly clearance v.s. a stock setup.

With your bandit stuff (did you mono shock??) you will lose 1" of clearance (just entered the data into a spreadsheet) unless you do something else to compensate. (raise the rear, or drop triple)

There are two type of yoshi pipes. Those the race version that come right underneath or the street versions that are designed to clear the oil cover. The race version provides better turning clearance, and generally they are a very good fit.

Not sure about the issues you are having without picture.
      Thanks for the reply.

I did not mono shock it. I am using the gs1100 swinger.

I have the race header.

Rechecked clearance, it is only 3.75
      Last edited by Fjbj40; 06-28-2013, 03:00 PM.
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Here is the tail pipe clearance issue. You can just see the stay behind the pipe.

Comment

Here is a Supertrapp system on loan from Still Bluenoser. .25" more clearance and the tail pipe fits way better.

But still not enough clearance?

Comment

Full Yosh system

Comment

That is the much older style than I'm thinking of. Here is a pic of a race version on my ED right after I got it. You can see the can is above the axle as yours is below. From my recollection it was a tight fit to the oil pan. I had a 1st gen GSXR 1100 pipe that was tighter but it actually hit the oil pan.

I know this is a video but it does show the clearance between the Yoshi pipe and the oil pan. It is a pretty good clearance more than I remember.

She is a little old but runs very strong. The PO added 36mm GS1150 carbs and got most of the way through a carb tune (without carb sticks).
              Last edited by posplayr; 06-28-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X