GS650 Tuning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Tuning help

I've been rebuilding GS's for a while and this 1981 GS650 has me a little puzzled. The air box on the bike was shot so I put on the individual after market filters. The bike starts fine and idles nicely but as soon as I increase throttle, it bogs down. It sounds like it's sucking air hard. I checked the carb to intake boots and had one leak, fixed that. Is there some adjustment I need to make since I ditched the air box and went to individual filters? thanks in advance.

Yup,

just like any of these GSes, removal of the airbox is going to result in a large increase in the amount of turbulent air they are gulping. You're going to have to up the mains at least two sizes, possibly more, to compensate, and fiddle a bit with the A/F mixture, as you are probably going to find you are a bit lean at idle.

Your best results will likely come from getting a tapered needle (a la Dynajet)
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

What he said ...or find or fix an air box.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

BTW, what brand of aftermarket filters did you select?

Comment

You'll will likely need decent pod filters and a dynojet kit to simplify tuning and get it to run nice.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I ended up getting some KN knockoff filters which probably was a mistake. Does KN make a replacement with 'restriction' I guess you'd say? My old air box was shot, deformed. Thanks again.

Comment

Unfortunately, pods = jet kit. The CV carbs require an aftermarket kit, DynoJet is the most popular. APE also sells K&N style pods for a bit less coin. All the other knock-offs have been found to be extremely difficult to dial in, jetting-wise.
              If you do not want to go through the hassle of re-jetting (and it is a hassle) then try to find a gently used airbox and go back to stock.

Comment

I should kick myself for throwing out the old box, I probably could have salvaged it, oh well. That sounds like the way to go because I really don't want to mess with rejetting.

Comment

I always tell the pod wantabes to save their airbox stuff. Hard to find for someone having second thoughts. There are a couple 650 airboxes on ebay now, but neither had the matching air filter box from what I could tell.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Jets or not?

I put pods on this morning just to try (they were free), and the bike runs good enough. Should I go up to 120's or let sleeping dogs lie. It's a 650L and I have 110's currently. Let the controversy begin!

Comment

Plug chops are your path to enlightenment
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I might have a stock air box.
                        V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Plug chops?

Comment

From BassCliff's site: Plug Chop method
                            Although it refers to VM carbs, it is very similar to the method for CV carbs as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X