No announcement yet.

new member, gs650 carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought it only fair to send out a final update on the issue, I ended up buying a set of carbs from a 70's CB750 that had been professionaly rebuilt and synced. They are a perfect bolt up and a switch from cv's to slides. The bike runs great now, thank you for all of the responses, and if anyone wants these gs carbs, let me know, although there nothing to be proud of in their current state.

Comment

So these are Keihins off a honda 750, slide type not cv style? did your rebuilder tell you main jet sizes? I'd definitely do some plug chops just in case as this is radical change for the intake system.
      What airfilter setup are you using? How about a pic??
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Don't have a pic yet, but yes they are keihins and no cv's all purely simply mechanical slides. Rebuilder told me that the carbs were jetted appropriately to run a 750cc Honda with pod filters and open style exhaust.

Comment

Pictures as requeted. These carbs are a direct bolt up fit. There are off the bike again because I am contending with replacing some very old and dry rotted intake boots that are xausing vacuum leaks.

Comment

Second picture

Comment

Thanks for pics! genuine choke plates- do they have mini choke plates on the main choke plates?
              Yeah, you have to fix up vac leaks or it will run pitifully.

Wherever you are, does this bike have to pass any emission tests?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jakeh View Post
                I ended up buying a set of carbs from a 70's CB750 that had been professionaly rebuilt and synced.
                "Professional" only means they get paid for it, you can only hope they were good at it.

"Synced" could only be done on your bike. There are small differences between the cylinders, so a sync on one bike will not necessarily transfer to another bike.

Thoug They are a perfect bolt up and a switch from cv's to slides.
                Glad you like them. Personally, I think that CV-type carbs work better on the street, but you never said where you plan on operating your bike.

Rebuilder told me that the carbs were jetted appropriately to run a 750cc Honda with pod filters and open style exhaust.
                We can only assume that a Honda 750 breathes about as much air as a Suzuki 750 and would be jetted accordingly.
                A Honda 750 is about 10% larger than a Suzuki 650, the jets probably are, too.
                Jetting for pods and a pipe will add to that considerably.
                My guess is that your bike is WAY over-jetted.

Glad you are happy.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X