Air box compatibility 1000GL to 1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box compatibility 1000GL to 1000G

I have an air box that came off of my 1981 GS1000GL parts bike that I want to use on my 1980 GS1000G.

I believe the parts bike is an x model and the bike I am building is a t model, and that means the part numbers are different. Any compatibility issues?

Also, are the boots (hoses) compatible? The parts fiche says they are different between the x and the t models. There is a left and right on the t model and on the x model (which is the air box I believe I have) all 4 are the same.

Parts fiche also says that the t model requires a filter AND an element? Is this not just one piece?

If this air box will work I need to order the boots and filter and whatever else I need. Just want to make sure before I start spending more money

I am not positive but I think the gl box has a slightly different shape than the 80 g air box. Is it a plastic or metal air box and are both the left and right side covers removable or are the riveted? Post a picture you'll get an accurate answer.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

If I recall correctly, the '81 GL airbox is similar to the '82-'83 G and GL airbox, which is different than the '80 GL and '80-'81 G airbox.

Basically, it is going to look like this, but it will work:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I think you are right because looking at the parts fiche the GLX model side covers seem to have a sharper angle at the front.

At least I know it will fit. Maybe I will see if anyone here has the right air box setup laying around before I spend any money on this one.

Comment

Just ordered this-

I would have had to order the boots for $60+ anyway.

Comment

If that is the one you ordered, you just got an '81 GL airbox, not an '81 G.
            It will look like the one in the previous picture that I posted.

The '81 G box has square chrome pieces on the sides, not angular ones like that one.

The one you are looking for will look more like this:

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know how I didn't see that this is the exact same part that I already have, but that's what it is. I am recovering from a medical issue that has screwed up my cognitive function so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not all there some of the time.

I guess I will post on the parts wanted board to see if anyone here has what I need.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X