Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Suzuki GS 450L Massive carb problems

Hey everyone..

I'm gonna give you guys a bit of history on the bike and what happened here so that hopefully someone can help me out..

I bought the bike maybe 4 months ago. When I first got it it was running kinda ****ty, carbs were exhaust popping, etc..It seemed to all blow out after a while and everything was cool. Then it all went to hell, carbs got gunked, tank was rusty...etc.

At this point, the tank is clean, The carbs have been cleaned twice because the first time I didn't do it correctly. In the proccess of cleaning the second time one of the needle valve seats got last in my lawn. Now one of the carbs has a new needle valve assembly. As far as I know the carbs are completely clean at this point. I followed nessims guide exactly.

Now for the questions..

The bike will start now. It's a bit tricky to start...maybe a float not adjusteD?? However it will idle a little bit, once I rev it over 3 grand, I't wont drop below from anywhere from 3 seconds, to not at all.

The butterfly is snapping shut so I don't think its the throttle cable..

Thought?

Thanks, Mike

Did you change the orings behind the carb boots?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

New o-rings, yes. However a friend who helped install them, put them on after the carbs where mounted to the airbox, then put the boots/rings on. And he used black RTV to hold them in place...could this be the issue?

Comment

Yea, that RTV isn't necessary and probably is messing your stuff up.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sounds like an intake leak, so the O rings under the intake boots are new, how good are the intake boots themselves?

If it's at all difficult to push the carbs in, or you need to use some lube to get them in, then they're shrunken and should be replaced.

As far as tricky to start goes, what symptoms do you get exactly? Hard starting is usually related to valve clearances not being correct.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete, If I have the intake boots on the intake before I put the airbox side of the carbs on, its 100% impossible, I have to Fight to slip them in over the carbs, and then try to get the orings in. I'm assuming they have shrunk.

Comment

We ordered new boots, rings, and gaskets. I apparently was missing the gaskets as well.

Comment

Good stuff Mike. The boots I was referring to are on the cylinder head side where the carbs slide in, but getting that whole system sealed up nicely will definitely be a good thing!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                X