Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How critical are the springs on the pilot fuel screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How critical are the springs on the pilot fuel screws?

I finally got the carbs back together, and after actually looking at the pictures in the nice .pdf on Cliff's site I noticed the pilot fuel screws have springs like my air screws do. My VMs did not come with springs for the fuel pilots from the previous owner(s). I'm a bit new to the concept, but are these springs basically there to provide pressure to keep the screw from backing in or out on it's own? If so I think I'll just buy a nice spring assortment from the hardware store. I'm just a little concerned there may be more to this than I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.

That's it. I've used Bic Clic springs in a pinch once or twice.

BUT if you use different springs, don't even think about bottoming out the screws by feel, it will feel different and the tips will get stuck for sure.
    Do it by looking for the tip to show in the bore, when you see it, that's close enough.
    Last edited by tkent02; 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by G.S.Joe View Post
      I finally got the carbs back together, and after actually looking at the pictures in the nice .pdf on Cliff's site I noticed the pilot fuel screws have springs like my air screws do. My VMs did not come with springs for the fuel pilots from the previous owner(s). I'm a bit new to the concept, but are these springs basically there to provide pressure to keep the screw from backing in or out on it's own? If so I think I'll just buy a nice spring assortment from the hardware store. I'm just a little concerned there may be more to this than I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.
      Yes, the spring is supposed to keep the screw from losing its adjustment.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I bought an assortment, dropped in my new spring, screwed in the pilot, and ran into resistance. Back it out. Spring is still in carb and is stuck on something on the bottom. Turns out the old ones WERE there, they were just compressed to the point I didn't see them and they were seized in the bottom of the bore. Couldn't even reach them with tweezers or a bent fishing hook. Had to force my new spring in and turn it. Clockwise spring + counter clockwise spring made them interlock and then pulled them out. Good thing I bought the spring assortment though as a few were in rough shape.

Comment

Working...
        X