Stubborn Float Needle Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubborn Float Needle Seat

So I start tearing down the carbs on the 650. Turns out the #3 carb has a fair amount of rust so I start disassembly on that one.

Well after a few hours of wrenching and gathering info here shes apart.... all except for the float needle seat. Ive hit it with a wire brush, WD40'd the hell out of it and heated with a lighter but it isnt budging. Whats my next step?

You could try this, or this

Maybe some penetrating oil, I've never used penetrating oil on a carb though, I'm sure you're placing the o-rings though

Comment

I would heat the general area with a butane torch then try and twist the offending part out with some multigrips. It is probably the old perished "O" rings that is gunk in there and sticking things together. If that does not work then boil the whole thing in a metal container of water for 15 mins or so to see if that will release it.

If all else fails you could cut a slot in it with a hacksaw and try and twist it out using a screwdriver. If that does not work then the last resort is to drill it out using a succession of drills going up one size at a time till you get within a 1/32" of the carb body, you should then be able to bend the remaining piece and pull it out.

Hope this helps.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Heat and penetrating oil are your friends here.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Heat and penetrating oil are your friends here.
          Very true, just remember that "lighter" and "WD-40" are NOT "heat and penetrating oil".

Use a propane torch and PB Blaster or Kroil.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, I dunked it in Pine sol for 36 hrs. Still stuck. So I stuck it in the toaster oven for 5 min at 360 degrees and grabbed it with vice grips and twisted it on out. Ill need to replace it but thats better than having to drill and tap a new hole.

Th

Comment

I have a good set of needles and seats.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X