not smooth at constant speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not smooth at constant speed

I have a 1982 GS1100G. It takes a long time (10-15 min) to warm up. After that it idles well and accelerates strong and smooth. However at a steady speed it surges a bit. It feel to me like its a carb problem. Any ideas?

You can do a "roadside plug chop" to see what the mixture is like at the problem throttle position.

Have you done anything to the intake or exhaust? Have you cleaned the carbs?

Hopefully someone else has come across this

Comment

If it is just off idle (cruising) it is probably the mixture screws. Use a colortune or highest idle method to achieve the correct/best mixture.

Comment

Have you pulled the carbs and thoroughly cleaned them? When the bike is warming up, is it firing on all 4 cylinders?

Comment

A long warm up (on the choke I assume) and surging during steady state cruising are typical symptoms of a lean condition. This could be the result of a jet or orifice being restricted by gunk in which a thorough cleaning may resolve the issue. Or, your jetting may be a bit too lean and you need to re-jet the carbs to a slightly richer mixture.

Comment

My guess would be some air leaks around the intakes someplace.

But that woud just be a wild guess, without catching up on thirty years of neglected maintenance it's hard to tell.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks everyone

I just bought the bike. It had been a project for someone. i took it into a shop because it would not return to idle. That problem is fixed. It seems like a lean mixture problem. I am not a bike mechanic so I'll take it in to a Suzuki shop for this.

Thanks to all.

Comment

Their job is to sell new motorcycles. Good luck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are no Suzuki shops for a 30 year old Suzuki. It seems you will have to learn the hard way as we all have. The trained Orangutangs in the shops just know how to break 30 year old bikes because they can't plug it into the analyzer that tells them what to do. It's just your money. If you keep the bike you will learn you CAN BECOME YOUR OWN MECHANIC! Don't mind me, I'm just an old fart who wasted a lot of money coming to that conclusion, being dragged kicking and screaming by the good folk at this site.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by whbvb View Post
                    I just bought the bike. It had been a project for someone. i took it into a shop because it would not return to idle. That problem is fixed. It seems like a lean mixture problem. I am not a bike mechanic so I'll take it in to a Suzuki shop for this.

Thanks to all.
                    I'm not a bike mechanic and a girl to boot and I wrench on my own bike thanks to all the very patient guys here who have walked me through fixing various issues on my bike.

Comment

Working...
                    X