Exhaust recommendations sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust recommendations sought

I have an '82 GS450T with the 500cc upgrade. The intake is stock airbox and I recently up'd the main jets and balanced the carb's with the stock exhaust.

All was working very well, but recently had an accident that will result in me replacing the exhausts.

I'm seeking recommendations:
    1. Should I get OEM exhaust?
    2. Should I get a custom exhaust?

My goal is not to increase the noise level tremendously (a little is fine), but to maybe get an exhaust that would better take advantage of the 500cc setup. I realize I'll have to re-jet the carb's. That's not a problem. I'm just curious what others have done and found successful.

Thanks,
    Bwanna

Originally posted by bwanna View Post
    I have an '82 GS450T with the 500cc upgrade. The intake is stock airbox and I recently up'd the main jets and balanced the carb's with the stock exhaust.

All was working very well, but recently had an accident that will result in me replacing the exhausts.

I'm seeking recommendations:
    1. Should I get OEM exhaust?
    2. Should I get a custom exhaust?

My goal is not to increase the noise level tremendously (a little is fine), but to maybe get an exhaust that would better take advantage of the 500cc setup. I realize I'll have to re-jet the carb's. That's not a problem. I'm just curious what others have done and found successful.

Thanks,
    Bwanna
    Its all about what is in your budget. You could modify your existing exhaust for use with something like a reverse cone muffler (cut the pipes at a certain point where it is okay, if that is possible, and just slip the muffler on). Or, you could go with an aftermarket exhaust like Vance&Hines, Kerker, etc. Or,you could go crazy with a custom bent exhaust. But, that's probably not what you had in mind Take a look at them an consider the pros and cons. Aftermarket exhaust=more free flow, slightly more noise, less weight, and possibly cooler looking Honestly, I don't see much of a reason to keep the stock exhaust as you have a 500cc 450. To me, if you modify the engine like that it would only make sense for the exhaust to go along with it. But hey, that's just me

Comment

Working...
    X