Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley softail pipes and pods/carb clean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley softail pipes and pods/carb clean.

Ok,

First off this is a budget build.

So i have my set of new softail harley pipes that i will be replacing my stock mufflers with. (The stock muffler is junk.) I am guessing my jetting is going to change with the new pipes? maybe only a little. First off what would be the best way to connect the pipes? Weld or make a clamp for easy removal? If anyone has done this how do they sound with the baffles in?

Second

I am opting for pods ( I have read many threads on this form and yes i still want to do pods. The jetting and trouble shooting does not stop me from wanting to do it. I love working on motors and i cant wait to dig into the carbs on this bike) So first i was wondering what are the best pods for the money? k&n or some other brands. Second should i do single pods or i saw some a week ago that took up two carbs so two filters for 4 carbs. It connected carb 1&2 together and 3&4 together, thoughts?

Third

I have ordered the engine side boot replacment orings to make sure i have a good seal with no air leaks. I also orderd all new orings and fastners for the carbs. I will be dipping the carb and cleaning and installing the new orings all at the same time. I also want so start a base line for the new jetting.

Right now i now the carb is set up stock with the 115 main i think.

Going with what i am adding above what main should i start and and what other things do i need to change in the carb, needle pilot...ect, to get me close to what is needed? ( If i was doing a full new pipe i would use the dyna jet but like i said i am on a budget so i will take the time to make the changes my self.)

any information would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

P.S as soon as i get the project going i will start posting pictures of the progress.

__________________________________________________ ____________

New to me 1980 GS850GL, Mikuni BS Carbs, Harley Softail pipes, pods.

Hi,

I would think you will need to go up at least 4 sizes on the mains and raise the needles. You'll find carb tuning information and links to more carb tuning information on my little website.

The K&N pod filters are most popular. APE and UNI also make good parts. I think the 2-n-1 filter units may give you a little more filter surface area but I don't know if they offer any other advantages.

You may also want to replace the intake boots themselves, along with the intake boot O-rings. If the boots are old, hard, brittle, cracked, etc, they will give you problems later on.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I forget the hole saw size you need but its just fits inside the rear of muffler and cuts the weld out so you can knock the baffles out. The stock mufflers are very restrictive on those. What you end up with are a set of glass paks. How you attach the mufflers depends on how they fit on the stock pipes. A loose fit will cause backfiring when you let off the gas. Jetting listen to the previous post

Comment

Working...
      X