Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuttering GS450L above 3rd gear...

Hi all,

I have a question about the GS450L im working on.
    I have been here for questions about the high reving problem, that turned out to be bad valve clearance, and i already cleaned the carbs with an ultrasone cleaner. Changed the intake 0-rings and manifolds, changed the clutch, oil and spark plugs...

Whats the problem: It runs and starts great, but when i pul the throtle above the 3`rd gear it stutters... and bumbs, and al that... i have to bee gentle with the throtle and slowly build up the rpm... What is that?

I would think it is too rich, because he starts without choke, but i am searching for a second opinion...

Thanx and greetings from Holland, Martin

Wht size jets are in there now? What intake and exhaust system? Has the bike always done this or did it just start on it's own? How is the fuel consumption?

Startng without choke would have to do with the pilot jets and mixture screws, the full throttle operation is the main jet's job. The two are not necessarily related, but they could be. For instance, fuel levels being too high would make all of the circuits too rich, where the wrong jet would only effect one.

Are the carburetor floats adjusted correcty?
    It could also be something going on with the diaphragms in the carbs, were there any holes in them?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

The fuel consumpion is pretty high, i have no idea what the jet size`s are, i wil have to check that this week... It is its maiden voyage after a big repair... i bought an other pair of carbs from an other GS450L, cleaned it, but didnt think about the jets... thought it would be ok... one GS450L to an other...

The Diaframes are as new. Original exhaust and intake.

How can i check the floatlevels?

Thx, Martin

Comment

Did you fully strip the carbs down and reassemble per the procedures on Basscliff's site? If so, you would have checked the float heights then. If not, go back and re-read/re-accomplish it again. Here's the link: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ning_guide.pdf
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Yes i completly dismanteld the carbs, they ary so clean you can eat out of them...

Wrong link but i found the right one on basecliffs site thx, i will check the float hights.

If the problems is in the jet sizes, how can you tel whats the right size?

Thx, greetings Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch-Martin View Post

If the problems is in the jet sizes, how can you tel whats the right size?
            Look through this thread:

Should be in there something for a 450.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok thx, there is a list in there with the stock sizes of the jets, so thats a start. I hope i get a chance the next days to take the carb of...

Greetings, Martin

Comment

Hi all,

finaly got by to disassemble the carbs.

The Main Jets are 115 and the pilot jets are 45.

This is stock...

Anybody think i should get smaller jets?

Im gonna check the floats of course, but I am wondering how the fuel consumption could get so high...? The pilot screws are 2 turns out so that is stock to.

Hope you guys can help me out, Greetings Martin
                Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Could the needle setting on the diaframs be wrong?

Comment

Working...
                  X