Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muffler hanging from exhaust

(pic gets bigger if u click on it)

i noticed this the other day, how do I get it back on. I can try to provide more pics if needed.

The muffler is hanging off a bolt where the rear foot pegs are.
    Is this harming the bike in anyway?

The other side seems to be held on with what appears to be tape between the exhaust and muffler creating a seal.

Andrew
    Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2013, 11:51 PM. Reason: new picture

Is it the heat shield that has come loose or has the muffler broken off from the headpipe?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That looks like the heat shield... Same as my 400T. The bolts on the shield as well as the clamps get really rusty and brittle. If the exhaust is in tact and not cracked, no real biggie. The shield is there to protect your foot from the heat.

Comment

@Steve
        It appears that the muffler has come off at the head pipe.
        I figure a quick temp fix is just put zip ties on it.

Comment

You're probably better off to have a welder look at it or buy some new mufflers and have them tacked on to the headers. I might know someone in town with an exhaust to fit a 400. I'll send him an email and see what he has.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Is that oem exhaust? It looks like that might already be a slip on muffler? If so maybe the clamps is too loose and it just slipped out. If not autoparts places sell exhaust pieces that might fit inside pipe and muffler, and hold it in place with a couple of new clamps (one on each end). terrylee

Comment

That's a slip-on muffler. You'll have to take the heatshield off to fix it. (see caution above post by ontario_chris) Sometimes the slipons do not fit well,even with the exhaust pipe shims the kits included to help make a tight fit. See terry-lees post. This is the simplest fix.... You mention "tape" on the other side's muffler. Hopefully it is fibre-glass cloth, like a wood-stove door gasket, or a tape muffler-wrap repair you can find at Canadian Tire and other fine stores. I find these are difficult and unsatisfctory compared to a metal shim+clamp (I myself used an unusual asbestos+wire type head-gasket material to shim my slip-ons because my slip-ons were a problematic size compared to Suzuki header- I wish I had a ton more of this stuff!)
              Welding ... take the whole bike to the shop because you want the muffler to attach to the right place on the back end (the OEM hanger at the rear footpeg) that said, you can just make a hanger to fit there. Slip-on kits often include a drilled strap,becuse they don't always have exactly the same shape and tilt angle as the original.... a Caveat-if you are redoing these, have them set so you can get the rear axle out without hitting the muffler as the OEM has it! You might as well do both sides, if you are welding, as it's likely to happen again opposite.

I'll pretend I didn't read "zip-ties", which I interpret as being the plastic things and insane to put on an exhaust.

Comment

Working...
              X