Carbs Leaking and CYL 1&2 hot. GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs Leaking and CYL 1&2 hot. GS650

Hi, I have a 1983 GS650 Katana with the Mikuni BS32SS carbs, I just rebuilt all the carbs and have put them back on. Carb 3 and 4 were leaking out of the air cleaner after priming the system for some reason opening and closing the choke stopped it leaking once running for a bit, but it has done it a few times after putting the tank back on and priming. As well as this cylinders 1 and 2 are running much hotter than 3 and 4, I don't have a thermometer but could tell from touch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Best to get new petcock for $50 and rule it out as a problem; then, you just have to contend with proper carb maintenance to ensure carbs are containing fuel ( bowls not overflowing, etc.). Head to this guy's site for info overload. It's likely this bike needs to catch up on maintenance

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like you're having a few different issues. I would make sure the float height was properly set before I spent the money for an OEM petcock, although that would not be a bad idea, especially if you're unsure of the bike's history. I also had a problem with overflow, and adjusting the float heights fixed it for me, If you don't know what is the proper height, You can check Basscliff's site for your bike's service manual - The link is above.

As for cylinder 1 & 2 running hotter, When was the last time the carbs were synched? Also, did you make sure the fuel screws were at the right setting when you reinstalled them after rebuild?

I hope this helps!

P.S. Post an intro in the GS Owner's section to tell us a little about yourself! Oh, and Welcome! It's good to have you here.

Comment

Originally posted by ToastMH View Post
        Hi, I have a 1983 GS650 Katana with the Mikuni BS32SS carbs, I just rebuilt all the carbs and have put them back on. Carb 3 and 4 were leaking out of the air cleaner after priming the system for some reason opening and closing the choke stopped it leaking once running for a bit, but it has done it a few times after putting the tank back on and priming. As well as this cylinders 1 and 2 are running much hotter than 3 and 4, I don't have a thermometer but could tell from touch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
        Assuming you fully broke down the carbs, there are a few things that may be wrong (hell, it may be all of them).
        -check the float height in the manual (Bassclif's site has all of them if you havent checked it out yet)
        -make sure the pilot screws (Air/Fuel mixture screws) are 2.5 turns out from seated to begin with (fine tune from there)
        -Using the choke to "slow" the problem works because its changing the circuit the gas is going to I believe. It still happens, so fix that first.
        -Don't mind the heat for now until you fix the gas coming out of the carbs. Just make sure to have some sort of fan on the front of the bike to cool it.

Comment

Working...
        X