Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 gs550e fuel line diameter size (stupid question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs550e fuel line diameter size (stupid question)

so this is an extremely dumb thing to have to post about but searches for "gs550 fuel line" doesnt get me what i'm looking for and seaches for "gs550 fuel line diameter" breaks the search function.

I'm away from my bike but need to order some parts and i can't remember the size of fuel line on the thing. i THINK it was 3/16ID (5/16 OD) but i want to make sure before i order the lines. if i can order this morning i'll have them when i get off work, otherwise i'll have to wait until next week.

can anyone confirm? thanks

When looking for parts, first thing is to always check the OEM Suzuki parts fishe. http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm Unfortunately, in this instance, the proper size is not clear because the part numbers seem to be mixed up (not unusual with Suzuki parts these days). The OEM fuel line is thin diameter and stretchy. Totally different from automotive fuel line which is designed to carry high pressure, and is thick with fabric mesh inside which makes it not stretchy. The OEM line doesn't need a clamp to seal, but the automotive stuff does.

Most GS bikes use 7mm fuel line. When you buy the OEM stuff from Suzuki you will get enough to do about three bikes. You can use 5/16" automotive line, but again, you will need clamps otherwise it will leak. You may be able to find some import car fuel line that is the proper 7mm size, but not sure what specifically to suggest on that front.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

haha. the first thing i did was look at the OE Suzuki parts list.

well the line on my bike is aftermarket and is stamped either 5/16 or 3/16, and isn't clamped anywhere, i just for the life of me can't remember which. i've got plenty of clamps and planned on using them anyway. i know you don't NEED them with a carb'd bike, but i don't see a reason not to. the only reason i'm even doign this is because the fuel lines that are on there are brittle and grimey so i figured its time for a refresh.

if 7mm is factory OE, that's closer to 1/4 than 3/16. and 5/16 seems like it'd be a tad large as you said. Thanks.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMX6 View Post
        haha. the first thing i did was look at the OE Suzuki parts list.

well the line on my bike is aftermarket and is stamped either 5/16 or 3/16, and isn't clamped anywhere, i just for the life of me can't remember which. i've got plenty of clamps and planned on using them anyway. i know you don't NEED them with a carb'd bike, but i don't see a reason not to. the only reason i'm even doign this is because the fuel lines that are on there are brittle and grimey so i figured its time for a refresh.

if 7mm is factory OE, that's closer to 1/4 than 3/16. and 5/16 seems like it'd be a tad large as you said. Thanks.
        Just because the parts are on your bike does not mean they are correct.

3/16" line is way too small. 5/16" line is close to 8mm, which will work, but needs to be clamped.

As Nessism mentioned, the correct size is 7mm, which you are not likely to find in any auto parts store on this side of the Atlantic or Pacific.

If you go to the parts fiche, you will see this description: HOSE,7X10,2X200.
        Not sure how you read it, but I see that it is 7mm inside diameter, 10.2mm outside diameter and 200 cm long. Yes, you actually get 2 meters (about 6 feet) of hose when you order it. And having ordered this hose several times over the years, I can verify that is exactly what you get.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ordered 7mm line from a German parts house, that is, an online vendor that sells aftermarket parts for German cars.
          You can find it on FleaBay

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Just because the parts are on your bike does not mean they are correct.

3/16" line is way too small. 5/16" line is close to 8mm, which will work, but needs to be clamped.

As Nessism mentioned, the correct size is 7mm, which you are not likely to find in any auto parts store on this side of the Atlantic or Pacific.

If you go to the parts fiche, you will see this description: HOSE,7X10,2X200.
            Not sure how you read it, but I see that it is 7mm inside diameter, 10.2mm outside diameter and 200 cm long. Yes, you actually get 2 meters (about 6 feet) of hose when you order it. And having ordered this hose several times over the years, I can verify that is exactly what you get.

i didn't say they were the correct parts. just that it was what i found on the bike. and i didn't know how to read it. i've never measured fuel line (carb or efi) in mm before so i didn't even think of it.

i've sourced some 7mm line locally so i'm all set.

thanks

Comment

thanx, saves me going nuts trying to search (all searches came back waaayyy to many hits, cant compute), and trying to sypher the fishe language.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises sells 3 sizes of clear fuel line at affordable prices, so I just bought three feet of each. Now I have a bit of miscellaneous tubing for other tasks like bleeding brakes, etc.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                X