Leaky petcock, fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky petcock, fixable?

My petcock is leaking fuel into the vacuum feed on carb #2, and I wonder if I can fix it or need to replace the petcock. I also wonder how urgent it is. There's not a ton of fuel moving, but I can clearly see it, and it does build up if I pinch the line, so it's actually leaking.

This is on my 81 gs650gl. I've heard that the petcock rebuilds are not worth it. Should I look around at the classifieds?

Sometimes they are fixable...but, it's more a crapshoot whether the repairs will work. Much better to buy a new one IMHO.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
      My petcock is leaking fuel into the vacuum feed on carb #2, and I wonder if I can fix it or need to replace the petcock. I also wonder how urgent it is. There's not a ton of fuel moving, but I can clearly see it, and it does build up if I pinch the line, so it's actually leaking.

This is on my 81 gs650gl. I've heard that the petcock rebuilds are not worth it. Should I look around at the classifieds?
      If that leak progresses, it can fill your crankcase, leading to some large scale unpleasantness called-hydraulic lock, or merely diluted oil that no longer protects the engine. I would consider it urgent. I wouldn't be surprised if you could smell gas in your oil now.

Disassemble the petcock and see if you can identify the problem. A weak spring and a perforated diaphragm could be fixed with a rebuild. There have been successes. If you do decide to buy a replacement, stay away from used. Used ones may well be in the same or similar condition. New ones are available, though they cost a bit more than anyone would want to spend.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Don't waste your time - just replace it. You can get one for less than $50 shipped and eliminate it from your maintenance worries.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X