Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 gs750e wrong carbs?? Please help a new user.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs750e wrong carbs?? Please help a new user.

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a 1981 gs750e as a project for a cafe racer. I am new to this bike and picked this one up for fairly cheap, got it home threw some gas in it and it idled right away but instantly died if I tried to give it throttle. So I started taking the carbs apart and they were filthy and two of the jets were rusted over. I ordered a rebuild kit and the float bowl gasket is not even close to what it should be. This got me thinking about the carbs and if they were the right ones or not. They are mikuni but I know they are not bs32ss as they have flat slides not round. My question for everybody is what kind of carbs are these and will they work if I put the right rebuild kit in them? Or do I just need to look for the right set of carbs for the bike.

Those are BST34 or 36mm carbs
    Off the early GSXRs
    You may get them to work if someone already jetted them.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

After some more research I think these are off a 1986 gsxr 1100. I still don't know if they will work but the previous owner had them on their so I'm thinking it ran at some point? Just need to dig some more. Thanks for the info chef1366.

Comment

Originally posted by howardshane2 View Post
        After some more research I think these are off a 1986 gsxr 1100.
        I still don't know if they will work but the previous owner had them on their so I'm thinking it ran at some point?
        Just need to dig some more. Thanks for the info chef1366.
        On the other hand, maybe he is selling the bike because he couldn't get it to run.

If they are, indeed, from an 1100, it might be tricky to get them to run decently on a 750. Might just be too much carb for the engine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If anyone has a complete rack of carbs for this bike I would love to take them off your hands. I am just going to get rid of these gsxr carbs and take the bike back to stock, I feel like I will have better luck this way. Just PM me, I will also post in the parts forum.

Thanks,
          Shane

Comment

Working...
          X