Really strange problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really strange problem

This problem is related to my 1981 GSX750E.

When riding normally with my feet on the foot-pegs the bike stalls sometimes around 3000-4000 rpm. Especially if I have given it full throttle seconds before.

Now, here is the strange problem (or solution). If it starts to stall, I just move my feet to the passenger foot-pegs and there is NO PROBLEMS!!

I rode 118 miles yesterday with my feet on the passenger peg and not one single problem except when having to use the front foot-pegs.

I cant find any solution to why this is happening.

Is it possible you are putting pressure on the fuel tank with your knees and pinching a pipe?
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Will it do this silly thing if just one foot stays on front peg? Are you shifting your weight and putting different stress on right hand switch- i.e. ,bad kill switch wiring ?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

All is good as long as I dont have my legs close to the engine/carbs and maybe shift my weight a bit further back. When I move my feet it takes only a second and the bike is running fine.

I have checked hoses, and intakes. Cant find any problems there.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Do you have theh stock airbox or pods?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stock airbok, new air filter and new boots (New Airbox Air Intake Boots 80-83 GS750 GS1000 GS1100 OEM)

Comment

Has this model a side stand cut out switch?

Comment

Not to my knowledge.. But it is not an electrical problem. Feels more like an air/fuel problem. Kinda like there is some sort of false air getting in or being blocked.

Comment

The air intake snorkel is behind the side cover....correct ?

Perhaps the positioning of your leg is causing some type of air vortex, limiting the airflow to the snorkel ?????

Weird........
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

That was my first thought, but since I need to move both legs back I think, that eliminates that.

What about some vortex/pressure around the intake boots? I got some strange feeling they are not the exact fit, leaking and air get pushed in???

Comment

How about the vent tubes that run up along side of the seat? Are they in their stock location?

Comment

I dont think so. I have not paid any attention to them.. is there any special way to put them?

Comment

The vent-tubes were on the outside aiming forward, I placed them inside and under the airbox. That did the trick. I rode 100km today, and not one single problem :-)

Thanks for the tip pdqford. That really did it :-))))

Comment

Working...
                          X