a few tank and fuel isues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few tank and fuel isues

i have a 81 gs 850gl. had to changes the tank because the oem tank wos lined and had to cleen it (still working on the tank). i got a 650gl tank that i modified to fit the frame. im starting to smell fuel but only when its running, no leeks eny ware that i can see. i think its frum the cap seal(its cracked). i cant get just the seal and i new cap it $80. whot can i do about the seal? and the other question i have is ware dose the tank vent? it has a fuel Gage. dose it vent out the gage assembly or the cap?

It vents underneath the cap seal as far as I can tell- there's a slot towards back. My rubber seal is cracked but no smell unless bike is left in sun. If you can't find new one, improvise, especially if this is a temporary tank. Make sure that it's only the cap that's seems to leak.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Fitting a 650 tank on an 850 takes a bit of work. It's possible that your "modifying" of the tank might also be the source of your leak.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

that's possible and ill look in to that some more. but im not seeing eny thing thats wet. and i only get the fuel smell when its running. when i got the 650 tank it did not come with a cap. so i will be reusing the cap when i get the oem tank done. is there eny thing i can use for the seal ?

Comment

If you only get "fuel smell when it's running", I'm unclear as why you think it's a cap problem- is it sloshing out of cap area when you ride? Are you using an old petcock that came with this 650 tank?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Could the bike just be running rich if he's only smelling it while operating?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you are desperate to replace the seal, there are often caps available on EBay from Thailand for around $25 + shipping. The seals work but the caps themselves are a little weak.

I agree though, it shouldn't be the cap seal, otherwise you'd smell it at rest. How about your carb vent lines. Still attached?
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

running rich may be the issue, im going to pull the plugs when i get good weather. not sheer whot i should be getting for MPG but at the moment im getting about 35-38 iv ben told that about all i shuld be getting with this bike? and yes the vent lines are all there and they look dry

Comment

Working...
                X