new idling issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new idling issues.

So i recently bought a gs650, drove it home. Learned to ride a few days, then tore it apart to figure out how it works, im a curious guy like that. Did k&n pods, aftermarket exhaust, tucked my harness, re sealed all the engines gaskets, installed new tails, turns, a headlight shroud i fabbed up, and cleaned all the chrome. Basically went through the whole thing and moderend it up a bit.
    Installed 120 main jets, started right up. I spent an hour or so tuning it up with the pilots, ran perfectly.
    Then my friend touched it to 'fine tune it'. Hes been riding for years, and 'knows' all about how carbs work, im a Toyota master tech, i havent touched a carb my whole life, and i only knew how to tune these because i bought a few books on how carbs work and read them. So he plays with my pilots, and then all hell broke loose.
    My number 1 carb keeps spitting fuel back out of the inlet.
    The bike wont start for ****.
    It wont idle right
    It misfires while i have the choke open.
    I just spent another hour trying to get it to run right. No matter what i do the damn thing wont start up without cranking for 30 seconds, and refuses to idle when hot.

So, where do i start? Im pretty well aquainted with the bike, i know about 4 cycle engines and how they operate, i just dont know where to start with diagnosis when it was just running so perfectly. Please help a guy trying to get his first bike ever back on the road

if you spent an hour tuning it yourself and it ran perfect, return it back to the settings you had! you did make a note of the settings right?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

So your friend actually pulled carbs off to fiddle with them? did you/he notice the rubber plugs over the pilot jets? Of course this doesn't explain why it didn't start right up assuming you understand how "choke" works on these carbs- it's an enricher circuit and NOT a plate that blocks carb throats.
      When you say it ran "perfectly" before his midas touch, did you actually run it on the road thru the gears??
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        if you spent an hour tuning it yourself and it ran perfect, return it back to the settings you had! you did make a note of the settings right?
        I spun them all back to 2 turns, and it still wont start. I cant hook my vacuum guage up to it without it idling. Which is my big issue, i cant get it to idle.
        Pulled the plugs. They were obviously stock and the electrodes looked pretty funky. Also the 1st and 4th cylinder were flooded i think. So im at autozone getting some ngk d7ea plugs to replace them with.
        But no, i didnt take notes. I didnt know id need them haha

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          So your friend actually pulled carbs off to fiddle with them? did you/he notice the rubber plugs over the pilot jets? Of course this doesn't explain why it didn't start right up assuming you understand how "choke" works on these carbs- it's an enricher circuit and NOT a plate that blocks carb throats.
          When you say it ran "perfectly" before his midas touch, did you actually run it on the road thru the gears??
          No. He adjusted the pilots with the carbs on with it idling by ear. I had them balanced using a vacuum guage. And no i had it idling correctly ,i had yet to road test it to make sure everything else was good to go. And there was no rubber plugs over the jets.
          Maybe im mixing up the Lingo, im talking about the jets that are in the mouth of the carb.

Comment

i cant see how it can go so radically from "running great" to the point of not even starting just by "fine tuning".
            unless you can provide further in depth information then i cant really help any further.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              i cant see how it can go so radically from "running great" to the point of not even starting just by "fine tuning".
              unless you can provide further in depth information then i cant really help any further.
              Please tell me what info to provide. I have no idea how to diag these carbs systems so im not sure what you need to know. I can tell you plug gap, vacuum, rpms, anything that will help you help me. As i said this is my first bike and this clymer manual only gets to generics.

Comment

it sounds to me like your friend did a whole lot more than simply "playing with the pilots" to create such a dramatic difference.
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Well after i installed the new plugs. Set everything i could back to the way i had it, and it starts up like it used to now. Good 1500 idle again. But when i rev it, the revs fall slowly, what shoulds i adjust or replace to effect slow rev down?

Comment

1500 is to high for idle, it should be closer to 1000. you need to check for air leaks, mainly on the manifold boots where they bolt to the head. replace the o rings and check the boots for splits or cracks
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Read this before you go any further. One of the members here has posted essential info for new GS owners and done us all a huge service. Click the link.

Comment

Also, take the D7EA plugs back and get the proper D8EA plugs.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X