Not getting fuel in carb float bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not getting fuel in carb float bowls

I just purchased a 1985 GS450L 2 weeks ago and after putting in a new battery, drained gas, and put in new fuel petcock the engine is clearly not getting fuel. It is definitely getting spark and air because when i squirt starting fluid into the carbs it runs for a few seconds. After unscrewing the bolt on the bottom of the carbs not a drop poured out. Please help, bear with me im new here.

Try setting the petcock on PRI for a few seconds. This should fill the float bowls.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I did that and still nothing, im curious if maybe the petcock is not getting proper vacuum, but the vacuum hose is connected properly

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Originally posted by jalinar450 View Post
        I did that and still nothing, im curious if maybe the petcock is not getting proper vacuum, but the vacuum hose is connected properly
        Putting it in PRIme position will not require any vacuum.
        THat is what PRIme means, it means to open the petcock even if is no vacuum, thaqt is to prime the carb bowls without the engine running.

Oh, in PRIme postion is when the little arrow is pointed at the PRI, not when the lever is over the PRI. (if it is the type of petcock that has a lever)

>>later note:
        - add your location in user profile. Does not have to be too specific, just genereal. Maybe someone nearby
        - ad you bike year and model in signature line.
        Last edited by Redman; 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM. Reason: add later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

petcock problems, no gas passing.

If you remove the whole petcock, check the screen, disassemble the petcock, remove the diaphragm, there is a small oring on a metal nipple at the center of the diaphram that stops the gas when no vacuum is present, sometimes with the crappy methanol gas we are stuck running in our machines the oring degrades and gets sticky and tar like sticky / and destroyed and will not let gas pass no matter what position you put it in. I matched a new oring from the auto parts store that fit but I don't remember what size it was, or I would tell you, I suppose you could check your parts store if you needed one, It sure beats paying for a whole petcock kit if you don't need the diaphragm.
          Let me know what you find and if this solves the problem.

Comment

If it's a new petcock won't think you need new parts in it already. You might check if your tank might be rusty inside and some blocked something up. Also are you sure you have the fuel and vacuum lines hooked up correctly. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by jalinar450 View Post
              with the petcock set to the prime position, vacuum is not needed. Fuel runs through the petcock by gravity alone. If fuel does not run out of the petcock fuel fitting with the petcock set on prime, then the petcock is blocked/not working.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

To test the petcock, place in ON or RES. Remove fuel line and place in a container. Turn to PRI. If fuel flows, turn to ON or RES. Remove vacuum line and suck on it. Fuel should flow. If all these tests pass, look to your needle and seats. If they fail, replace the petcock.

Comment

Working...
                X