• Show
Clear All

Highway speed odd speed variance

Hey all,

1981 GS750E
    4 into 2 aftermarket exhaust
    Pod Filters
    Dynajet kit with larger jets installed

Recently switched out exhaust to a much freer flowing 4 to 2 then stock so I upped my main jets and now noticing that on highway when holding a constant 6500Rpm I am getting an odd speed variance. I hate to call it "surging" as the speed does not increase, rather with throttle held still it may drop by 5 mph which certainly is noticeable and then back up to the speed it was at...

I searched the forum and found other users having a positive surge in which speed would increase but not other way around like this.

Acceleration through all gears is smooth. Idle always returns to 1100-1200 range with no issue. No stalling either.

At first I thought maybe clutch was slipping? But then I should notice it in other gears to when accelerating. I checked for pinched vent hoses and all are good.

I have some popping when coming off throttle from exhaust so might need to lean out the mixture to fix that... Any thoughts on this highway issue would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by tc80211 View Post
    Hey all,

1981 GS750E
    4 into 2 aftermarket exhaust
    Pod Filters
    Dynajet kit with larger jets installed

Recently switched out exhaust to a much freer flowing 4 to 2 then stock so I upped my main jets and now noticing that on highway when holding a constant 6500Rpm I am getting an odd speed variance. I hate to call it "surging" as the speed does not increase, rather with throttle held still it may drop by 5 mph which certainly is noticeable and then back up to the speed it was at...

I searched the forum and found other users having a positive surge in which speed would increase but not other way around like this.

Acceleration through all gears is smooth. Idle always returns to 1100-1200 range with no issue. No stalling either.

At first I thought maybe clutch was slipping? But then I should notice it in other gears to when accelerating. I checked for pinched vent hoses and all are good.

I have some popping when coming off throttle from exhaust so might need to lean out the mixture to fix that... Any thoughts on this highway issue would be much appreciated.

sounds like your lean on the mixture and popping out the exhaust in my experience indicts lean not rich or a air leak which again makes it lean
    a simple check you can do provided you have the VM carbs is pull the choke on see what difference that makes to the surging and popping
    it wont harm anything....... dont try this with CV carbs that have the butterfly style chokes

ozman
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2013, 04:23 AM.

Comment

I'd give a good look at pod filters for signs of tearing- at 6500 rpm, lots of air is moving thru them.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
        dont try this with CV carbs that have the butterfly style chokes
        Evidently you guys in Oz got different CV carbs than the rest of the world, because we got the same style enrichener (choke) that the VM carbs had.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I checked the pods, no tearing. Warmed up and did a few passes at that rpm range, pulled choke, no change... still inconsistent... I am only 2.5 turns out so I could theoretically richen the mixture still, should I try this?

Comment

Also, its been like 3 years since these carbs were synced... in know i know. never had any problems till now... Would this help?

Comment

I checked the pods, no tearing. Warmed up and did a few passes at that rpm range, pulled choke, no change... still inconsistent... I am only 2.5 turns out so I could theoretically richen the mixture still, should I try this?

no change tends to make me say richen up alittle give it a try

Comment

Also, its been like 3 years since these carbs were synced... in know i know. never had any problems till now... Would this help?
                A sync will not do much at road speed, it mainly affects idle smoothness and very-low-throttle operation.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Richened the mixture. Fluxes the popping on deceleration. However the "surging" as I guess it can be called at highway speeds continue. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Running wide opened up a long hill, backing off the throttle slightly does it pick up power or blubber a little?
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Richened the mixture. Fluxes the popping on deceleration. However the "surging" as I guess it can be called at highway speeds continue. Any other thoughts?
                      maybe bigger mains it sounds like your still lean
                      have you done a plug chop that the speed where its surging ?
                      new plugs are easier to read, 6500-7000 rev for abit pull clutch in kill motor
                      check colour of the plugs on the ceramic centre section of plug
                      tan/light brown good white/light grey is lean

ozman

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
                        maybe bigger mains it sounds like your still lean
                        have you done a plug chop that the speed where its surging ?
                        new plugs are easier to read, 6500-7000 rev for abit pull clutch in kill motor
                        check colour of the plugs on the ceramic centre section of plug
                        tan/light brown good white/light grey is lean

ozman
                        Ok. Problem solved. But no idea how. I did the plug chopping and plugs looked correct color. Then rode around at slower speeds. Hopped on highway and no surging! Had it up to 120 with no problem. So I'm completely clueless as to how the problem got fixed. Thanks to everyone for the input and troubleshooting help!

Comment

Working...
                        X