fuel bowl needle valve - how to de-magnetize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel bowl needle valve - how to de-magnetize

I noticed that the needle valve in the float bowl is magnetic and attracts metal shavings. How would I de-magnetize it?

I'm guessing a magnetized needle valve is a bad thing since it would collect any metallic bits from the fuel tank wearing the needle and the seat and since the fuel volume/pressure is not that great (I'm guessing) through there, those metal shavings won't get flushed into and settle at the bottom of the bowl.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

How did you manage to magnetize it in the first place?

Comment

I gotta say, that is a new one on me. Google "How to demagnatize metal". Lots of choices, some good, some not so good.

Comment

With a degaussing coil.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

You can wrap an AC power cord around whatever you are trying to deguass and use it for a degaussing tool. Use the cord from something something that pulls some current. Plug it in, can't remember how long it takes, haven't done it in thirty years.
          No clue if it will work on something as small as this valve.
          Heat can also get rid of magnetism, but I don't know how hot it would take or if the needle can take the heat.

I wouldn't have thought they are even ferrous, is this the stock needle valve?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tom...My impression was that he means the float needle, which is ferrous metal.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

De-magnetise

Years ago I used to demagnetise the pick-up heads on cassette players with a demagnetiser pluged into the mains. Perhaps that could work. I think I still have it, may have a makers mark that could help. Dennis
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
              X