Type of Fuel Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type of Fuel Line

I'm in need of some fuel line and just want to grab some from the local auto parts store. Seems like all they sell is vacuum type hoses, not good for fuel. What type of hose should I be asking for at an auto parts store?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2013, 04:50 PM.

Ask for Tygon fuel line

Comment

Be careful as the fuel line they sell there is too big for our bikes. You'll need clamps on each end if you do get it. Better ordering some from the dealer - yes, a little expensive but you get way more than you need right now.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Last time that I checked, Auto Zone sold fuel line by the foot, in several diameters and made regular fuel resistant rubber and from Tygon (the premium stuff).
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          Last time that I checked, Auto Zone sold fuel line by the foot, in several diameters and made regular fuel resistant rubber and from Tygon (the premium stuff).
          Thank you, sir.

Comment

Not all varieties of Tygon tubing are fuel proof. Be careful and get the right stuff.

Personally, I think the OEM type fuel line Suzuki sells is superior. Thin, flexible, stretchy, durable. 7mm ID. Not cheap but you get enough to do several bikes so overall a fair value.
            Last edited by Nessism; 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tygon sucks I bought into the bs of how good it was supposed be . One year later its hard and crusty garbage good ole rubber fuel line beats it any day and yes I bought the correct type . Not to mention it has no backbone so pushing it onto a fitting is a joke just my personal experience .

Comment

If you can stand to wait a few days, Z1 Enterprises has 3 sizes of fuel line in bulk at affordable prices. I bought 3 feet of each just to have on hand for general maintenance (bleeding brakes, draining carbs, etc).
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Also, a small engine repair shop in your area would probably have some that they'd be willing to sell.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
                    Tygon sucks I bought into the bs of how good it was supposed be . One year later its hard and crusty garbage good ole rubber fuel line beats it any day and yes I bought the correct type . Not to mention it has no backbone so pushing it onto a fitting is a joke just my personal experience .
                    As noted above, Tygon is a brand name for a family of polymers used to make tubing, and probably other things. The types mae specifically for fuel line should work very well. Tygon branded products come at a premium price. Regular rubber fuel tubing works as well, for all practical purposes.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Oreily has the clear lines over by the mower filters
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

Or you can go to a Volkswagen dealer and get the correct 7mm hose.

The problem with getting virtually any automotive hose is that it is going to be reinforced to handle pressures of fuel-injected systems.

Most of our bikes don't have fuel injection, so plain, old thin-wall tubing (OEM) works just fine.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just went down to Autozone and got some rubber fuel line for cheap, by the foot. Yes I did have to clamp it at both ends but the price was right. Also a little trick an old guy taught me, some gasket lube from a pool supply store will keep the rubber line from drying out and stay flexible for a long time. Seems to work on my wife's uncles Harley OK.

Comment

Working...
                          X