Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fuel flowing from petcock in any position

81 gs650gl:

I know the petcock is hosed (leaks through the vacuum line), but it has been working.
    I don't remember which line was which, but the vacuum port and line matched in size (smaller) and the fuel line matched in size (larger).
    There's an inline filter (oriented the right way) in the fuel line, but that has not caused problems before, and air flows freely through it. That's how I can see nothing is flowing. I did see a little bit of moisture like condensation, but I'm getting nothing on any setting.

The tank is over 2/3rds full (according to the gauge).
    So... more cranking?

Fuel doesn't even flow in prime?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

MMm nope. It's not flowing.

Comment

And I've tapped on and wiggled the fuel line and shaken the tank and moved things around. I was thinking about draining the tank via the petcock to pull it out..... whoops.

Comment

How good is the paint on the tank? You could pour it out the filler hole, but it might get all over the outside. You could remove the petcock to pour it out there, but some gas might still spill out the filler and get on the tank. At any rate you need to take the petcock off to see what's up with it. You can remove the tank with fuel in it, just a little heavier is all.

Comment

Maybe the tank is empty ??

Comment

He said it was 2/3 full.

Comment

It did sit on the ground for about a .... uh.... 2 weeks while I was sorting out my valve shims. I don't think anything climbed up inside the petcock and laid eggs, but maybe...

The paint kinda sucks. I dont like it. Cheap too-dark blue fleck out of a rattlecan, and it has spiderwebs on the top from previously spilled gas, I think. I'd like to repaint it at some point. Would be a fun project.

Comment

OK, just pour the gas out, no big deal.

Comment

Sounds to me like you need a new petcock...

Comment

sounds like the diaphragm inside the petcock has a hole in it. gas will leak through to vacume tube and will cause loss of vacume . wich means no gas will flow through fuel line. buy a diaphragm or easier yet just buy a new petcock
                      8)

Comment

He has to get the old one off first.

Comment

At the worst, I can siphon (not by mouth) the fuel out. I've been vacillating about the petcock because a diaphragm is so much cheaper and I don't mind rebuilding it, but I've been PMing someone who has one. I want him to make sure it doesn't leak through the vacuum port, but he's giving me a great deal on it.

Comment

Take off the four screws holding petcock vac diaphragm cover in and pry it off- any fuel in tank will flow (if there is any left). Don't waste your time rebuilding a 30 yearold petcock- new ones can be had for under $50, so "great deal" on used one is just searching for trouble.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Rebuilding it is a waste of time. I tried to order a rebuild kit and when it showed up, it didn't even fit the petcock, even though it SAID it did. I didn't just order the wrong part.

Bought a new one for like $35 and away I went.

Comment

Working...
                              X