X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS32SS Float Height

1983 GS650GL
    Mikuni BS32SS

In the process of rebuilding a rack of carbs according to the tutorial on Basscliff's website. Adjusting the float height to the needed 22.4mm really seems to set things at the extremes of their adjustment. Picture #1 references the float height set at 20mm to go any farther I would have to bend more things. It just doesnt look right. I can tell that the PO had the carbs apart, the original float height was 9mm. Should I proceed to bend things enough to get the desired 22.4mm or am I missing something? I have searched the forums and the internet for this issue but I was unable to find a definitive answer.

Carb #1 at 20mm and carb #2 set at 9mm

View of the adjusted tang

How are you measuring the float height? It looks like you're MUCH higher then you should be. The carb #2 is not set to 9mm. 9mm is just a tad over 1/3". The measurement is between the gasket seating surface and the top of the float. In your case it's the top of the float right after the top ledge step down.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Those tabs should almost be flush with the surrounding metal. Yours are bent way too much.
      There is a picture on this forum that was posted by Steve that shows how to measure the float height.

Comment

As usual, Basscliff has the info- have a look

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

your's don't look like this at all

Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Measuring with a digital caliper according to what I found in the service manual as well as the photos on Basscliff's website. I will double check to make sure my caliper isn't defective. I picked it up from Northern Tool so it isn't exactly Starrett quality. Thanks all.

Comment

Are you sure it wasn't outputting in inches? 0.9 inches would be very close to the right height (0.88 inches).
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
              X