Petcock spring GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock spring GS650

Yo! I pulled apart my petcock, and it does indeed have some cracks and whatnot in the diaphragm.

Anywho, the little piece of metal that fits into the body like a snap ring (this is allll the way inside the petcock from the position selector) is what I'm wondering about. I think it was pretty mangled, but I'm not totally sure. Maybe it's a stop or something...

I should have taken a photo, I took pics of everything else haha.

That is the little part that gives you your "PRIme" function when you turn the petcock anti-clockwise.

If it's not installed correctly, PRIme will not work.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmm. Any info on what it's supposed to look like? An image of one that wasn't mangled would be extremely useful.

What I bent it back into seemed right. Sort of a flat C shape on top about a millimeter wide with a straightened portion on one end. The bottom is another C shape but its flat portion is perpendicular to the top's flat.

You could almost cut a similar shape out of a tin can.

Comment

Have the same problem with the mangled piece. I've tried to find a fiche of the petcock to no avail. I don't even know what way it's supposed to go in if I could get it back into shape.

So...if I leave that twisted but out will it work, but no PRIme?

Sorry, didn't mean to hack your thread.

Comment

check out

for petcock pics. this one is complete except for the tab that goes toward the back which pushes out the diaphragm when PRI is selected.

BTW - I ended up getting a new petcock ~$50 at Z1
          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

I think this is what the profile (the side view) of the G shaped thingamajig should look like. The red line is a center line. I think the rest is explained on the photo.

Does that look right to anybody?
            Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Anybody? tenchars

Comment

I saw this post days ago, but -how can I put this simply?- stop messing around and get new petcock for $60. Don't worry, there will be plenty of other problems to keep you busy.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Solved!

See this post for photos of roughly how this thing should be shaped:

Let's call it a prime circuit actuating arm. Maybe just petcock prime spring would be easier.

I'm always a fan of rebuild instead of replace, when possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X