Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS400E Exhaust Rebuild

Hi,

I recently tried swapping engines with my parts bike since it had lower mileage. Got it running but had an oil leak around the cylinder gasket somewhere so swapped back temporarily until I can repair it. When I did have it running I noticed the right exhaust was excessively loud but figured it was valve related. Now that I have my original motor back in the bike it is still excessively loud.

Is it possible to 'rebuild' the stock suzuki exhaust? I notice that the baffle is secured with three rivets but am not able to find any reference to if it is possible to repair the baffle or what to expect to find inside if I remove these rivets. Does anyone know if the baffle inside is removable or if there is some packing that just needs to be replaced, ect... So far I have found nothing relevant searching around.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am nervous to start ripping the exhaust apart since this is my daily ride to get to work and have no spare exhaust if something goes wrong.

Thank you in advance.
    -Ian
    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2013, 11:46 PM. Reason: removed accidental emoticon

Originally posted by ianryeng View Post
    Hi,

I recently tried swapping engines with my parts bike since it had lower mileage. Got it running but had an oil leak around the cylinder gasket somewhere so swapped back temporarily until I can repair it. When I did have it running I noticed the right exhaust was excessively loud but figured it was valve related. Now that I have my original motor back in the bike it is still excessively loud.

Is it possible to 'rebuild' the stock suzuki exhaust? I notice that the baffle is secured with three rivets but am not able to find any reference to if it is possible to repair the baffle or what to expect to find inside if I remove these rivets. Does anyone know if the baffle inside is removable or if there is some packing that just needs to be replaced, ect... So far I have found nothing relevant searching around.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am nervous to start ripping the exhaust apart since this is my daily ride to get to work and have no spare exhaust if something goes wrong.

Thank you in advance.
    -Ian

Its not as far as i know with our year of bikes it not possible rebuild them. At least it wasnt possible on my rotten stock ones But I do have a spare down pipe set with good after market mufflers that i am willing to trade for a seat. I only live 1 hour from you.

Actualy if im correct its the same set that came from your parts bike. I got an aftermarket 2-1 so never used it
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.
      Got the noise down by re-tuning the carbs for the parts engine.

If you still want to swap just send a pic.
      Need to find a way to meet up.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ianryeng View Post
        Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.
        Got the noise down by re-tuning the carbs for the parts engine.

If you still want to swap just send a pic.
        Need to find a way to meet up.

Thanks!
        I can get some pics up. They need a bit of going over with some steel wool but will clean up nice. I alread did a section before i went 2-1

Comment

How do you like the 2-1 on your bike?

Any pics of the exhaust would be appreciated.
          We will need to find a way to meet up to swap.

Comment

Working...
          X