83 650 Fuel delivery - next logical step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 650 Fuel delivery - next logical step

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while because it has taken me a bit to get around to cleaning the carbs and replacing o-rings on the bike, including o-rings from carb to engine. My first time doing these things and thanks to everyone for previous help. Bike fires up when petcock is set to prime but will not stay running when petcock is in the "on" position. I did replace the vacuum line with clear flex plastic tube because original black tube was cracked at ends. I suspect the petcock needs replacing. Is there something else I may be missing?

Is the clear tube sucking itself flat and blocking off the vacuum?
    Is it kinked? Did you hook the vacuum line up to the right port on the #2 carburetor?

Did the petcock work before?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Is the clear tube sucking itself flat and blocking off the vacuum?
      Is it kinked? Did you hook the vacuum line up to the right port on the #2 carburetor?

Did the petcock work before?
      Petcock was temperamental before but do not know for sure it was working ok. I did observe the vacuum line while it ran and there were no kinks nor did it compress on itself (didn't think of that one and I can see where that would be an issue with certain tubes - I was not able to find a rubber replacement).

Comment

If it has been a LONG time since the petcock worked, it's possible that it's stuck.

There is an o-ring on the tip of the plunger in the center of the diaphragm that moves in and out of an orifice to control fuel flow.
        If it is stuck in the closed position, no fuel will flow when vacuum is applied.

Some petcocks will use a spring to push on that plunger when the lever is turned to PRIme, others will simply use another set of holes for fuel flow.

You can take the petcock apart to verify proper operation.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Since it was recommended anyway I purchased a replacement fuel petcock and it fits nicely. Hooked everything back up and still have the same problem – it runs fine in the prime position but not in the on position making me suspect that it still a vacuum issue. Do I need to re-examine the carb end of the vacuum hose to see if somehow there is a clog somewhere? Carb was disassembled and dipped already.

Comment

Show us where the vacuum hose is connected?

Comment

Remove fuel outlet hose at petcock; remove your clear vac hose at carb nipple and suck on it. In "ON" position, fuel should flow (catch it in cup)- stop sucking, fuel won't flow. Remember that you need to have enough fuel in tank for "ON" spot to find it- "PR" (and "RES" ) draws from very bottom
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

As Steve suggested, take apart the petcock for inspection to confirm proper working order. In all honesty, if it is not working perfectly I would buy a new one. Seeing as how it has, most likely, never been replaced or rebuilt. I have heard, and read, many times where rebuilt petcocks can fail at terrible times.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Remove fuel outlet hose at petcock; remove your clear vac hose at carb nipple and suck on it. In "ON" position, fuel should flow (catch it in cup)- stop sucking, fuel won't flow. Remember that you need to have enough fuel in tank for "ON" spot to find it- "PR" (and "RES" ) draws from very bottom
                Hm will have to do that when I finally get my damn tank on the bike.
                PS also going to put part of this in my sig if you don't mind tom... I have a dirty mind

Comment

Again, where did you connect the vacuum hose?

Comment

I confirmed the petcock works with suction when set to "on" position by sucking on the hose - fuel flowed only when there was suction. With the engine running, I confirmed there is vacuum/suction from the engine with my finger tip over the opening (hose is connected to port on engine side of 2nd carb from left - looking down while sitting on bike). Problem persists: engine stays running only when petcock is in prime position. I believe someone noted that fuel flow in prime postion is lower rate than when vacuum is working properly. Are there adjustments to the carb that could be causing maybe not enough suction? How do I measure the vacuum?

Comment

Strange, engine vacuum at idle should be better than your lungs ;get some small diameter wire and push it thru that vac fitting on #2 carb (second from left as you sit) to make sure it ain't blocked.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll do this and I'll also see if I get fuel flow in On position by priming the carbs then disconnecting the fuel line and have it empty into containers while vacuum tube is connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug650L View Post
                          Are there adjustments to the carb that could be causing maybe not enough suction? How do I measure the vacuum?
                          There is no adjustment on the vacuum port itself, it is just a hole bored straight through to the venturi after the slide.

Just stick a vacuum hose on the vacuum port and run the engine, you can feel the suction. There should be a lot of it.

Comment

Have you done a compression test , and or adjusted the valves, low compression , because of a bad valve adjustment can cause low vacuum
                            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I have not yet done these things because they're probably beyond my skill level and may need to get an experienced mechanic help me out. Question: Is the principle of the vacuum actuated petcock such that the amount of fuel changes depending on how many RPMs are generated Or is the rate of fuel delivered constant no matter how many RPMs? Can I simply set the petcock to the prime setting when running the bike and turn it to the on setting when not running the bike until I figure this out or will this not deliver enough fuel under road conditions?

Comment

Working...
                              X