Oddball loss of power/bogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddball loss of power/bogging

Bike pulls great up to 5k. Then it feels like its running out of gas. doesn't matter if I nail it or roll on. soon as it hits 5k it starts to stutter and miss. It does have K&N pods and drag pipe with what looks like 110 or 118 mains. Hard to read. I have a DJ kit for it, But I would like to get it running a little better before throwing the book at it. Timing? Where does the advance come in? Is there a mechanical advance on the 83 E? I have a full Dyna S system with coils to go on. I have not done a plug chop.

If the pods and pipe are already installed unless you want to go back to stock you don't have a choice but to finish the jetting. If those are 110 and not 118 jets you are probably also going to burn some valves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
      Bike pulls great up to 5k. Then it feels like its running out of gas. ...
      Based on the rest of your story, it just might be.

It does have K&N pods and drag pipe with what looks like 110 or 118 mains.
      I don't have jetting info on the '83 1100E (assuming that's the bike, your sig says "100E"), but the '80/'81 US 1100 used 107.5 mains and the Canadian '83 1100E used 112.5 mains. If they are 110, look for the Mikuni trademark, which is two nested squares. If, in fact, they are 118, they would be DynoJet needles. If that's what they are, they are the same size as Mikuni 110. Either way, with pods and a pipe, you will probably be needing something closer to 130 or 135 (Mikuni), which is 138 to 144 (DynoJet).

I have a DJ kit for it, But I would like to get it running a little better before throwing the book at it.
      If it's the DynoJet book you are going to throw, then you had better do it QUICKLY. The only way you are going to get it to run better is to jet it properly. There is no "get it running a little better", then doing the jetting.

Timing? Where does the advance come in? Is there a mechanical advance on the 83 E?
      The '83 should have the advance built into the ignitor. Now, ... if somebody put the wrong ignitor on it, ...

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

83 1100 16 valve has a mechanical advance.
        if he removed the air box then he needs to buy a st.3 jet kit...read...install and be done.
        simple sheet mang

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          83 1100 16 valve has a mechanical advance.
          Good to know, Terry.

I know that some bikes had gone electronic by then, not sure which ones.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

very true steve..even the 83 750 E/ES had an 1150 type ignitor....not sure on the 83750T model even though it had the gen 2 engine still?
            after 83 on the big 16 valve GS's they all had electronic advance.

Comment

I think (not real sure, though) that most of the shafties started the electronic advance some time during the '82 model year and were all electronic at the beginning of '83.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Stage 3 Dynojet kit installed. All problems solved. Still want the dyna s on it though. Will check out advance when i take cover off. Pretty sure its mechanical advance.

Comment

Working...
                X