My Carb Rebuild - Mikuni VM26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Carb Rebuild - Mikuni VM26

Finally pulling the carbs apart. Trying to follow the CV rebuild tutorial but some slight variances obviously. Basically I'm taking out every brass piece lol!

Now in the tutorial is says to take this part out by pushing it with the main jet. mine's threaded and cant push this through. Is this the part its talking about? or do I even need to remove this?

Leave it alone

Comment

awesome thanks!

everythings apart. dip is next. do I do anything to the actual cylinder? or the jets?

Comment

Just use a Qtip stick to scrub it out ..that's the needle jet.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It may be better to follow a VM tutorial:-

1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            It may be better to follow a VM tutorial:-

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf
            That should be quite helpful
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

looking great! doing most of the reassembly now. waiting on aluminum fuel T's to show up. fresh gaskets and o-rings are on.

Comment

Sirius Consolidated has the bowl gaskets in a 4 pack for 10.00!!! Youll never find them cheaper anywhere else. I use them and haven't had any leakjers.

Go to the home page and at the to where it says make select Suzuki. where its says parts click on carb parts. Think they are on page 6 or 7.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Whoa, those gaskets are super cheap. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Youre Welcome. Sudco is another good place.

Comment

so it's all assembled!! buuuuttt... won't start

i did the full tear down, and reassembly with new gaskets, o-rings from cycleorings.com (who is amazing!!!), and I also put on a new Stator as recommended.

I can't get it to turn over. and it did a couple loud backfire's and that's it.

wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by notronk View Post
                        so it's all assembled!! buuuuttt... won't start

i did the full tear down, and reassembly with new gaskets, o-rings from cycleorings.com (who is amazing!!!), and I also put on a new Stator as recommended.

I can't get it to turn over. and it did a couple loud backfire's and that's it.

wtf?
                        How can it backfire if it's not turning over?

Check to make sure you have fire on all four plugs.
                        Also, make sure the airbox is installed correctly with NO air leaks.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                          How can it backfire if it's not turning over?

Check to make sure you have fire on all four plugs.
                          Also, make sure the airbox is installed correctly with NO air leaks.

i have pods (i know, but it came with nothing so i bought these).

also it mostly does nothing and today it gave a loud boom. then i kept trying and it did it again so I stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by notronk View Post
                            i have pods (i know, but it came with nothing so i bought these).

also it mostly does nothing and today it gave a loud boom. then i kept trying and it did it again so I stopped.
                            Did you rejet the carbs for the pods?
                            If not you'll need to. That or get a factory airbox. Many times these bikes wont even start(much like yours) if the intake system is altered or defective.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Where did you set the big idle knob in the center...or did you set it? Set it till it just touches to the linkage and then go in about 1 1/2 to 2 turns. Too little and it wont want to start...too much and the same thing. Idle setting in relation to actually starting the bike is relevant. And do not twist the throttle....hands off. Choke and starter button. If it starts on choke but wont idle the turn the idle knob in a little till it does. If it starts and the Rs are high then back off a little.
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X