Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem

Hello,
    I have a 1982 Suzuki GS650 GLZ, it sat in my garage last winter with Shell 93 gas in the gas tank with Gas stabilizer, and auto battery charger during winter. I have been starting it since spring this year and it started fine with no issues. Last weekend I took it out for a ride and as soon as I shifted down to the first gear at a stop sign the engine stopped running, I was able to start it back again, but every time I shift down to first gear to stop it stops. Not sure if it’s old GAS or something else. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Jay

When you say you been "starting it since spring", have you been riding it much? or has it been sitting?
    Try fresh gas with a good dose of Seafoam or similar to see if you can clean out any gunk in pilot/low speed circuits. For now, turn up idle stop screw to 1600 rpm so it maybe won't stall- it takes a while for cleaner to do much; sometimes it won't do enough.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What you're saying is that it won't idle? Does it ever idle? does it idle with the choke on? Or does it have something to do with first gear? the other gears are fine but in first it quits? (this makes no sense) Or does putting it in any gear kill it, like the clutch is dragging? You mean it quits as you roll to a stop or it quits when you are stopped and put it in gear?

Really hard to understand your question.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What maintenance have you performed? Carbs cleaned with new O-rings? Valve adjustment? Air filterer cleaned? Carb vacuum sync? etc... You can't diagnose running problems until all the maintenance is up to date.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have been busy and I haven't been riding it much this year. It has been sitting in my garage.

Comment

I start it with the choke on and then after 5-10 minutes I turn off the choke and it stays running with no issues, but as I roll to stop while shifting gears down, it quits at a complete stop, it does not idle.

Comment

If you downshifted into neutral, would it hold its idle at full stop? If yes, you might have a clutch that doesn't fully release.
              When these things warm up, they need very clean idle circuits to keep engine running. Update your signature (user CP stuff top left on this page)- might be a member close by.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello,
                Please let me know the proper way to Seafoam my GS to ensure the best cleaning possible in an effort to avoid the hassle and expense of removing, breaking down, re-assembling and having to synchronize the motorcycle carburetors.
                Thank you,
                Jay

Comment

You sure it's not a clutch problem ? (I did ask about getting into neutral to rule clutch out)
                  Seafoam is worth a shot at $8 a can BUT it doesn't work miracles. When bike sits with old fuel in carbs, the ethanol (high fructose corn syrup wantabe) does nasty things. Next time you go to start bike, you pull up all this gunk deep into the tiny passages of carbs idle circuits. Very hard to for any cleaner to get at it -that's why you might have to do the "
                  removing, breaking down, re-assembling" stuff.
                  But try a good dose of Seafoam with fresh gas (drain old stuff and put in car). Best to go for nice ride with lots of accelerating and decelerating and see if you can get the seafoam to attack.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

What is the ratio of seafoam to a gs650 GLZ full gas tank? Also, can I add seafoam to oil, if so How many OZs should I add to it? I will give it a shot this coming weekend, Michigan weather permitting. I will report next week. Thank you so much for your help. Jay
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdajani28 View Post
                      What is the ratio of seafoam to a gs650 GLZ full gas tank? I will give it a shot this coming weekend, Michigan weather permitting. I will report next week. Thank you so much for your help. Jay
                      I'd probably opt for 8 oz of Seafoam in 3.5 gallons of gas- run it for a while (half/hour at least) then let it rest a bit before riding again, Ride it hard the second go. It likely will have even poorer idling during this event so plan your ride accordingly (open country) to keep things safe
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR OIL!!!!!!! You'll make the clutch slip.

Comment

Why is it a hassle to do the carb cleaning properly one time instead of constantly having issues? It will take you no more than about 4 days and gives you time to do the other maintenance you need to do (valve adjustments)
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

yup, +1 on that cowboy!

Comment

Working...
                            X