GS650 Carb Pilot Jet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Carb Pilot Jet question

So I needed to replace the #1 & #2 carb bodies on this old basket case I am working on. I obtained new bodies but what I am noticing that the bodies have a minor difference. The bodies have small holes (passages) from under the pilot jets that open into the carb throat. The old ones do not. After inspecting all of the old bodies a a couple have the holes, a couple dont. Can someone explain this and does it matter that the newer bodies have this small difference? I am used to the old yamaha maxim I worked on before this GS and all yamaha bodies had the passage under the pilot jet.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM. Reason: added info

I have also noted that hole with some of the carbs in my stash. Have not yet figured out the pattern, though.

Some of my carbs have come from 850s, some from 750s and some from 650s.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Transition ports, they help the engine go smoothly from idle to a tiny bit of throttle.

Or something like that. Google it and read all about it. Some carbs have two or three ports, some don't. Super secret carburetor engineer stuff I guess.

You should be able to tune the carbs to work fine even if these ports are not all the same.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the reply anf the hint on what to search for. Found this article/link that seems to have lots of good info

There are lots of tuning and modification articles dealing with the normal slide carburettor, but few telling it like it is with CV carbs. Some time ago I found this write up in a newsgroup that explains things very clearly. It certainly opened my eyes when dealing with these instruments. At the end I include a sectioned view of a CV carb showing the all-important transfer or transition ports. Here goes: Here is the secret of the CV carburetor: up to 3/4 throttle, the engine is

Comment

I'd read a few more articles, that one is kind of funny...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Transition ports, they help the engine go smoothly from idle to a tiny bit of throttle.

Or something like that. Google it and read all about it. Some carbs have two or three ports, some don't.
            Not sure we are talking about the same ports, Tom. The transition ports that I have seen are at the top of the carb throat, up near the top edge of the throttle butterfly. Usually two, sometimes three, but they are up there, in-line with the opening at the bottom of the mixture screw.

The hole that 'junkmn' is asking about is in the bottom of the throat, directly above the pilot jet. It almost looks like someone was drilling the jet and overshot, putting a hole in the bottom of the throat. If it were just one or two carbs, I would believe the "oops" possibility, but I have over half a dozen carbs with that hole.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep not asking about the transition ports. The holes I am wanting to know about are at the bottom of the carb throat above the pilot jet.

Comment

Working...
              X