Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gas flooding out of carbs into airbox after clean/rebuild...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas flooding out of carbs into airbox after clean/rebuild...

So I recently decided to go ahead and clean and synchronize my carbs. The bike was in running order, but the carbs were obviously a little of sync and well past due for a proper clean. I've never done this before, but I did my best to follow the instructions here and thought I had done everything ok. But now after reassembly I'm having problems...

So I've reassembled the bike and the bike will not start up right away. After trying to start for a while it will finally catch. However, it ****es gas out the overflow hose on the airbox. It's quite a bit. Like I said, carbs were working mostly ok before the rebuild. What are the most common cleaning errors that could cause this? I cleaned and rebuilt with the same old parts, did not buy anything new. Also, right now I'm running it without the filter element installed, just temporarily, if that makes a major difference for basic operation (I know that once I start synching I'll need everything installed)

Any advice much appreciated, I would love to get my first bike back on the road!

Cycle O Rings

Tell me that you didn't put 30 year old "o"rings back into clean carbs, or did you not dip each carb and clean them properly???
    1981 GS 1000GLX.
    1981 GS 1000G.
    1981 GS 650GLX.
    1975 TS 185.
    1972 100. Kawasaki.
    1968 100. Suzuki.
    1970 Z 50. Honda.
    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I'm sure that since you " did my best to follow the instructions here and thought I had done everything ok. " you did the proper cleaning and used new o-rings from cycleorings including boot/head interface.

The hard starting stuff could mean the "choke" system is blocked- not feeding fuel up into carb throats- did you blow out that feed tube in each bowl?

Fuel out airbox drain likely means one or more leaky needle seats- assuming new o-rings, the needle might be worn/scored- did you check for this? If your petcock is left on "PR" spot during these hard starting episodes, it could also overwhelm a marginal needle seat and cause overflow.

Bike should start and idle OK without filter element but won't be happy as revs go up.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also, be sure the inner edges of the bowl gaskets are not hitting the floats as they move..this can make one or more hang open and not sufficiently close off fuel flow, float hts are another concern.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Your short cut just turned into a long cut.

Newbie Mistake's thread and carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well, place blame where blame is due. I tried to take some shortcuts. I'll go ahead and do it properly! thanks fellas

Comment

Working...
            X