Race exhaust? GS1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motogpwerks View Post
    Gs guys are not willing to pony up compared to cbx or Z1 owners hopefully this will change as prices rise on Gs's/katana's in saying that all pipes i make mostly go overseas anyways,A $550 pipe cost me 700 to make at 80per hour + stainless and machining so i usually need to make 10x to make any form off profit.I just make them to keep my welding skills up and inbetween builds also i brought out a exhaust company at the start off the year (motoworks) with there heavy machines so i was just making them to pay off my investment.
    I have calfab swingarms jigs and extrustion just waiting for me to build gs/kz ones but i can't due to the prices will be 650-700 for a swingarm...can't see people buying them.
    I built yoshimura heatsheilds for gs range at 95 each they cost 83 to make and the tooling was 1800us for ther stamping die....I just give them away when i feel like it with a exhaust nowdays ...another bust
    I have a chromemoly katana frame im building now a direct copy but with all bracing and tube size and wall thickness it different for a friend who is racing in australia so im building a couple more but at 2800-3200us each i expect them also will be going overseas .I have a GMD computrack (makes it easy )so iM transfering 2006 gsxr frame specs to this katana frame .
    To build just one off pipe takes 6-10 hours depending on if i have to spend 1-1.5hrs bending tubes .So when you quote a guy 800-1200 for a one off pipe + i need there bike they throw a fit ,usually they tell me thats what they paid for the bike in the first place or they can buy a V/H or mac for 250.00.
    I just brought a huge Vapour blaster from skunk works ,only one on the west coast for motorcycles,seems like i will make more money with that than my whole production shop.....
    All true...but as far as real race pipes go, i prefer to build my own for each motor build. Like the 'replica" frames, science has moved on a little from what was used in the period. Race pipes IMO should be mild steel and regarded as expendable items as when the bike is crashed - as it inevitably will be - they take damage...
    As far as manufacturing goes, you may want to look at establishing a contact in China...

Re the vapour blaster - yeah, if i win lotto I'm getting one - there's only one in NZ at present and the jetski market alone would pay for it...
    Last edited by GregT; 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Only if you have the volume... Our shop could do it but I doubt you'd want to invest in the qty's required.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
      X