gas in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas in oil

What would cause gas to be on my oil and lots of it?
    Bike only has three thousand original miles.

Too many wheelies and too much slamming on the brakes in front of SUVs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Failed petcock and for Gawdsake don't run it !! { or you parked it on prime }
      Last edited by bccap; 10-20-2013, 12:29 PM.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

yes, the vacuum operated petcock. the gas runs in through the vacuum line to the carbs. You can get hydraulic lock in the cylinders even. My first 850G did that in the 80s.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the replies
          what are the screws at the top of the carburetors in the front right on the throat by the intake

Comment

your carb balance/synch tool hooks up there. I don't have any 550s, but that is how my 1000s are. My 850s have the connection on the carb boot. Makes the boots more expensive.

Comment

Mine has in the boots Both bikes do

Comment

Usually your float valve acts as a back-up to prevent gas from getting into the cylinders. But with enough pressure, gas will slip past too. Many of the newer motorcycles have stronger float valves or rubber-tipped ones to prevent this.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  Usually your float valve acts as a back-up to prevent gas from getting into the cylinders. But with enough pressure, gas will slip past too. Many of the newer motorcycles have stronger float valves or rubber-tipped ones to prevent this.
                  \If it comes in through the vacuum line, it the float valve may not even come in to play.

Comment

never understand why you guys refer to it as gas in the first place... :P

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
                      never understand why you guys refer to it as gas in the first place... :P
                      Cause petrol is more expensive

Comment

What kind of symptoms does a bad petcock or diaphragm cause on these bikes? After my coil issues were resolved the bike ran wonderful but just for a few days. It then started running like the other bike I have and the only common denominator was the carbs. I rebuilt the carbs about a year ago or less (complete with all new gaskets & o-rings plus cleaned in carb dip) I took them off the bike and cleaned them again with carb & choke cleaner. When put back on the bike only 1 bowl was full, another had a small amount of gas & 2 were bone dry. I'm kinda suspecting the petcock.

I ride 7 miles each way every day and have to fill up every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Davidson View Post
                          What kind of symptoms does a bad petcock or diaphragm cause on these bikes? After my coil issues were resolved the bike ran wonderful but just for a few days. It then started running like the other bike I have and the only common denominator was the carbs. I rebuilt the carbs about a year ago or less (complete with all new gaskets & o-rings plus cleaned in carb dip) I took them off the bike and cleaned them again with carb & choke cleaner. When put back on the bike only 1 bowl was full, another had a small amount of gas & 2 were bone dry. I'm kinda suspecting the petcock.

Just reading about your issue. Are you saying you ride 14 miles and your using a tank of gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Davidson View Post

With the petcock in the on position pull the gas line off. If any gas at all is dribbling out your petcock is shot. It can also dribble down the vacuum line.
                            Once you have replaced the petcock. Drain the oil and refill. Drive the bike for a few miles, maybe 25 or so. Drain the oil again and this time replace the oil and filter as well.
                            After each ride check your oil level to make sure that was your problem.
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                              Just reading about your issue. Are you saying you ride 14 miles and your using a tank of gas?
                              Yes

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              With the petcock in the on position pull the gas line off. If any gas at all is dribbling out your petcock is shot. It can also dribble down the vacuum line.
                              Once you have replaced the petcock. Drain the oil and refill. Drive the bike for a few miles, maybe 25 or so. Drain the oil again and this time replace the oil and filter as well.
                              After each ride check your oil level to make sure that was your problem.
                              Do you mean the entire petcock or just the diaphragm?

Comment

Working...
                              X