'80 550E Petcock leaking fuel from vacuum line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 550E Petcock leaking fuel from vacuum line

Can someone point me to the master thread for petcock issues. I recall getting advice to replace these petcocks rather than rebuild them. Is this the best advice? So two questions:

1) Is OEM ($85 from Boulevard) my best bet? Is there any point in purchasing a rebuild kit and trying my luck?

2) I'd really like to ditch the vacuum mechanism all together. Does anyone do this, and if so, is Pingel the only good replacement? I'd like to get something less expensive, but I don't want to cheap out and have to fix the problem again.

Again, if this thread already exists, kindly point me in the right direction. I searched a couple times.

Do you have lever style petcock? 44 mm bolt centerline spacing? If yes, Z1 has two models that should work; one for $50 has less reserve capacity, in this link...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

These petcocks are likely made in Japan- chances are good that a suzuki OEM would be made in same factory.

Honestly, rebuilding petcocks seems iffy. I like the vacuum ones (when they work ! )
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I believe that Pingle is quality goods. I also recall that Z1 sold the parts required to adapt a Pingle on to various Japanese bikes.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Do you have lever style petcock? 44 mm bolt centerline spacing? If yes, Z1 has two models that should work; one for $50 has less reserve capacity, in this link...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

These petcocks are likely made in Japan- chances are good that a suzuki OEM would be made in same factory.

Honestly, rebuilding petcocks seems iffy. I like the vacuum ones (when they work ! )
        Mine is lever operated. It measures pretty close to 44, center to center. Maybe I'm getting a bad reading, but it almost looks like 42 or 43? I need to take a closer look. What other size would it be on a 550? I seem to recall two different petcocks on them at least...

It looks like this, if a picture is of any use.

Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I re-measured, and my '80 GS550E petcock bolt center-to-center spacing is definitely 44mm.

I was able to get an exact number without removing the petcock by measuring the inside of the bolt heads (34mm) and then the outside (54mm) and splitting the difference.

So thank you, I'll be picking up one of those replacements from Z1, one of my favorite suppliers to support!
          Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Your petcock has outlets facing forward ??- Z1 units face rear- so might be problem, I can't tell. Somewhere on here, I've seen your style petcock (with handy drain screw)- maybe someone will remember.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Your petcock has outlets facing forward ??- Z1 units face rear- so might be problem, I can't tell. Somewhere on here, I've seen your style petcock (with handy drain screw)- maybe someone will remember.
              Fuel faces inward, vacuum faces forward. It wouldn't be the end of the world to route slightly longer lines to accommodate the aftermarket , but I'd prefer to maintain the same orientation. I wonder if the rear-facing fuel barb would run into the frame?

Comment

Any experts out there? In other words, does anyone know if the petcock from Z1 will require weird routing or interfere with the frame?

If I can't use it, it seems like the price difference between OEM and a Pingel is not very much (the cost of an adapter plate).

Comment

The Z1 petcock will work. Just don't pinch the fuel and vacuum line when you attach the tank.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ok, i ordered it. i'll post some pictures with the routing.

Comment

The Z1 unit worked fine, by the way. The fuel and vacuum line are a bit longer, but they do the job. I no longer have fuel leaking into my vacuum line.

Comment

Working...
                      X