1981 GS750E Carb Hose Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750E Carb Hose Advice Needed

I am restoring a 1981 GS750E. My carbs and petcock are rebuilt and my tank is ready to put back on, but where do all these darned hoses go?

There's a large nipple between carbs 2 and 3 at about the level of the top of the float bowls. Is this the main fuel input? Does this attach to the large nipple on the petcock?

There are also 2 nipples a bit higher up on the carb rack, approximately mid-slide level, one between carbs 1 and 2 and the other between carbs 3 and 4. Are these vents?

Since I'm not using the stock airbox, do I even need hoses here? If so, where should I route them? How long should they be?

There's also a small nipple, even higher up, on carb 2. What is this one for? Is it some kind of vent? Does it attach to the smaller nipple on the petcock?

Finally, there's a nipple on the fuel guage. I have no idea where this one goes!

Many thanks in advance for advice you guys can offer.

Originally posted by Smurf View Post
    There's a large nipple between carbs 2 and 3 at about the level of the top of the float bowls. Is this the main fuel input? Does this attach to the large nipple on the petcock?
    Yep, That's the main fuel inlet and goes to the large nipple on the petcock

There are also 2 nipples a bit higher up on the carb rack, approximately mid-slide level, one between carbs 1 and 2 and the other between carbs 3 and 4. Are these vents?
    Yes

Since I'm not using the stock airbox, do I even need hoses here? If so, where should I route them? How long should they be?
    I don't think so.

There's also a small nipple, even higher up, on carb 2. What is this one for? Is it some kind of vent? Does it attach to the smaller nipple on the petcock?
    That's the petcock vacuum line and connects to the small tube on the petcock. If your petcock doesn't have a vacuum port, then that line must be blocked off.

Finally, there's a nipple on the fuel gauge. I have no idea where this one goes!
    That's a fuel leakage hose in case the gauge’s sending unit starts to leak. Keeps fuel from dumping onto a hot engine. Connect some hose and route the hose to a safe location by the rear swing arm pivot.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Try this:

1980 GS550ET

Comment

JTGS850Gl and steveb922,

You guys are the best. Thanks for the answers. I owe a portion of the joy I will receive in riding my bike to your help!

Comment

Working...
        X