Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some carb questions to get the beast running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or you could put the carbs in the dip 2 at a time! or if you are confident enough and have a big enough bucket, put all 4 carbs in at the same time. then it only takes 1 day to dip all carbs.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Ok, I have to admit, I've never done a "carb dip"....oh I've soaked individual carbs in carb cleaner or some other solvent, but I get the feeling you are talking about something different.
      What do you dip them in? Straight carb cleaner? I prefer to use Super Clean for most of my cleaning tasks. Would diesel fuel or kerosene work?

Comment

Yes, put the carbs in a can of Berrymans (the gallon one comes with a basket) for 24 hours each. Follow the instructions on Basscliff's site from Nessism that explain how to do it.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well I got the carbs off the other day, and pretty certain the carbs were at least done or cleaned up somewhat. Glad my character analysis skills are still intact. The PO did not lie to me, it appears.
          I have yet to tear into them and see whats really going on, but I'm confident that things are just gummed up. The bike sat for "a couple years" after the rebuild, but I think once I get some fuel going through it it'll run fine.

Comment

intake ports

Comment

Originally posted by 650cafe View Post
              Well I got the carbs off the other day, and pretty certain the carbs were at least done or cleaned up somewhat. Glad my character analysis skills are still intact. The PO did not lie to me, it appears.
              I have yet to tear into them and see whats really going on, but I'm confident that things are just gummed up. The bike sat for "a couple years" after the rebuild, but I think once I get some fuel going through it it'll run fine.
              You cannot see any of the tiny internal passages that clog.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 650cafe View Post
                Tried just running fuel through a set that had been cleaned, put on bike, ran for two years, then sat for a year.
                Lasted for about a week until I decided that the stutter I was getting at certain lean angles was to dangerous not to fix proper like.
                Gas with ethanol, breaks down into gas, water, and some really sticky jet gumming funk.
                Even running with 1 cup of carb cleaner to 1 gallon of gas did not help.
                Take them apart and see where they are at.

Comment

Working...
                X