So I couldn't really get it started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I couldn't really get it started

I had a sneaking suspicion that the carbs were the problem...So, I took them off the bike, took them all apart dipped them and cleaned them all out...The P.O had modified the jets and had pods on, it ran like crap...So, I thought "since the bike was running, I didn't have to do all of the steps in the carb rebuild" Wrong.........Wrong.......Wrong......What an idjet I am...

When I put all the correct jetting in, I failed to look at the fuel flow screw...This time I took them out and realized that the screws and the springs were there, but not the washer and the o-ring, on any of them...I also found the choke circuit fuel flow tubes, and the bottom of the float bowls where the tube extends in to it were plugged...So, I rigged up the little cleaner tool on the guide page, and cleaned it all out, real purty like...

What a dip stick for wasting all of that time doing a half assed job. If I would have done it by the book in the first place I wouldn't of.....Oh you know....just waiting on my new float bowls to come in...

Oh and BTW...Does anyone know where I can get the new O-rings for the Fuel tubes and the fuel bowl vent lines? They didn't come with the rebuild kit..

o-ring kits can be had from the below link.

Comment

Yep, hate to say it, but you missed out on the luxury of not wasting $100 on carb rebuild kits that did not include all that you need and had questionable quality on what was included.

Cycleorings.com provides all the o-rings that you need, along with the o-rings for the intake tubes. Don't make the same mistake again, get them, along with the stainless bolts that hold the boots in place.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I also found

Two of the bolts that hold the top of the carb on are stripped... Should I just drill them and re-tap them to the next size up, or just use a helicoil? any thoughts?

Comment

The bolts are stripped or the holes? If it's the hole, try to clean them out with a tap of the same size and replace the screws with socket cap allen head style.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's the holes

The bolts are stainless, and the holes are in the carb body of aluminum...The holes are stripped.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
            X