my stock exhaust...storage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my stock exhaust...storage??

I finally got around to cleaning up my stock exhaust from my 80 750. I replaced them last year with the V&H and have been procrastinating (riding) ever since. They were in pretty good shape.
    Forgive me please as I know I have asked this question before but can't find it.
    What are recomendations for storage?

Thanks everyone,

Last edited by trevor; 11-11-2013, 05:46 PM.
    No signature

Send it to me, I'll take real good care of it!

Barring that, put it in a large well-padded box and store in a cool, dry place.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Dry warm place where they can't fall or have anything fall on them. Temperature changes will promote condensation and rust. Maybe bag them up with some desicant if you are in a humid place.

Mine are never all that nice to be worth worryig about, but nothing ever rusts here anyway. Actually, just ship them to me to store in my rust free zone. :-)

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I was gonna suggest a thin wipe of 3 in 1 oil or to coat them against moisture. it should wipe clean later with little effort.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I should have said constant temperture rather than warm. It is the changes that are bad.

Whateever you do, DO NOT use WD-40, it causes rust to form. I have tested this and it is true.

Comment

My word those are clean pipes.... I have a beautiful place to ehem.... "store" them right here....

Comment

For best results, store them hung by a cotton wick from the lid of a drum/vat of fresh motor oil. I've pulled perfect condition parts out of oil pits from where they got dropped some 40 years earlier, those were the ones we'd save to use on our own cars by hanging them in the fresh oil drum. When the time comes, you hit them with the parts washer and enjoy the quality.

A cellar is great because of the stable temperature, but the other enemy is moisture so some sort of oil is often used to displace water. But do put a hard shell of some sort around them, those pipes are too pretty to get ruined because 20 years from now someone accidentally drops something on them thinking there's nothing important in that corner. I've seen that happen enough times too.

Comment

I would agree with Tom about the constant temperature. My new gas tank has been sitting wrapped in a box, near my furnace for about 5 years. Sometimes I open the box and stare....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  I was gonna suggest a thin wipe of 3 in 1 oil or to coat them against moisture. it should wipe clean later with little effort.
                  I like that idea Chuck. You guys are right about putting them in a place that they won't get knocked over or something dropped on them.
                  No signature

Comment

Cosmoline

Then, hang them from the rafters
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Cosmoline

Then, hang them from the rafters
                      Thanks BigT, I had to look that up and boy that stuff ain't cheap.
                      No signature

Comment

I've used this and it works well

Comment

The pipes will rust from the inside, just as they do in use. Changes in temperature will cause moisture to form inside, not outside. The chrome will be fine until it rusts from within. A dry sealed bag or container and some desicant is the best way. Check the desicant once in a while, dry it out if it isn't.

Any place with temperature swings (like rafters, an attic, or in a garage) will be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Thanks BigT, I had to look that up and boy that stuff ain't cheap.
                            Trevor

Waaay back when I was a kid, you could supposedly purchased surplus WWII Jeeps that were still crated, wrapped in Cosmoline

I never saw one ,tho

Yes, you'd want to fog the interior with something
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                            X