Jet questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet questions

Hi my project is an 86 gs550 esg when i got it it had a 4 into 1 supertrapp exhaust i believe it has stock jets will this keep it from starting? or do need to take em off and clean them again, pilot jets are new aftermarket jets from jets r us i replaced them because i destroyed the old ones removing them. It will fire up but only on starter fluid actually sounds great for a few seconds or should i buy larger jets.Air cleaner lid is missing so i plan to buy one off ebay and to run stock air filter. any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you need to do a full carb CLEANING to clear out the passages between the jets.

With a stock air filter and a Supertrapp system, your jetting needs will vary, based on the number of disks at the end of the muffler. With just one or two, it will flow about as much as a stock pipe, so stock jetting should be fine. However, the more disks you add, the more air it can flow, increasing the need for more gas. As long as you keep the stock airbox, you might be OK with jets that are about four sizes larger than stock.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

With just the supertrapp, I doubt you need to make any adjustments to the jets. If anything, maybe one up on the main. I just finished jetting my 550 but I have K&N twins and a straight through baffle and I ended up using the stock pilot and needle, only upping the main jet.

I agree with Steve though, you need to do a thorough cleaning and put that air cleaner lid back on. Is the choke working?

Did this bike ever start? Have you checked the valve clearances?
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
      X