Plug Color - Too lean or ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Color - Too lean or ok?

Hey guys, so I've been working on the jetting of my recently finished 550 to 673 conversion and it's currently running fine. No issues whatsoever. And no pinging on 93 pump gas either. However, I pulled the plugs today (less than 20 miles on them) to take a look and I'm wondering if I'm too lean based on the color below (outside plug & inside plug).

When is lean too lean? If there's no pinging or problems otherwise, should I leave it or try to richen it up just a bit?

1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

I personally would fatten those up a little. Some would run them that way .
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Were you going at wide open throttle, or cruising, or putting around slow right before you pulled the plugs?

Or did you do a proper plug chop? If so which throttle position?

Plug pictures are difficult, for instance the lighting in your two pictures is different.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Those are two different plugs as mentioned. An outside and an inside. This is mixed driving. Some WOT, some idling but mostly light throttle. I was wanting to get an overall general feel not a single throttle chop. I will say that it runs good at all throttle positions currently. I think they look at little on the lean side but wondering if it's worth the effort to pull the carbs again if they are close enough. Will running lean hurt anything if there's no pinging?
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Running lean can burn things up. I have an 850 piston with a half inch hole in the top from running lean. He got an air leak in Patagonia, it was the end of that engine…
          The plugs change color quickly, within a few seconds at a different throttle opening they will have changed. So if you ride around an hour and then let it idle a minute before you pulled the plug, it will show only the mixture at idle.

Do a proper set of plug chops, and you will know.

Comment

That was actually coming in on light throttle cruising. I killed it and coasted in because I didn't want any idling color.

I think I will go ahead and pull them one more time and richen up the needle just a bit.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
              That was actually coming in on light throttle cruising. I killed it and coasted in because I didn't want any idling color.

I think I will go ahead and pull them one more time and richen up the needle just a bit.
              If that is at light throttle it's rich enough. Go test it at wide open, that is the important one for avoiding engine damage.

The 650 got away with being pretty lean at low throttle, mine were always white and it never had a problem. Really lean at very light throttle hurts nothing. There's just not very much heat in there.

Making a lot of power is where you need a bit of color, and where you can't afford to be too lean.

What main jets are you running, and what was stock for the 650? Stock was 110 on the '81.

What intake and exhaust?
              Last edited by tkent02; 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks tkent.

I have dynojet mains installed. 155's. I do have 160's in the toolbox. 110 was stock for the 650 but that's a Mikuni jet. Intake's are K&N twins and mac 4 into 1 with a straight through baffle. If the weather gets good, I will go find some place where I can take some WOT chops. It runs good and WOT and again, no pinging but that makes a lot of sense about wanting to be a little on the rich side at WOT.

Quick question, do you know how long you need to run at WOT to get a good color indication?
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Bottom one is what you want to see..just a hint of brownish tan at the porcelan tips. One is way too rich.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There is a whole lot of info to be gleaned from plugs, different areas on the plugs, the electrodes, base of the porcelin, etc. Mixtures, timing, a lot of stuff. It's a bit like rocket science, and I am not an expert. Have played with it some, and read about it some, tuned quite a few bikes. I would suggest spending a few hours reading about it.

The low power stuff is more about fuel efficiency, throttle response, ride ability. The high power stuff is about performance and avoiding engine damage.
                    It takes time and effort to get it all perfect, but it's worth it.

Comment

There is nothing lean about those plugs.
                      Twenty miles? Good color.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X